1.09.2013

Delay


Going to New York ended up delaying my first IVF cycle.  While I wouldn’t take back the experience that I am getting and the help that I am giving out, it was disappointing that I wasn’t able to get my one-month Lupron shot before I left.  Because my doctor believes that the Lupron shot really helps with IVF success, I will be getting it this Friday, the day I arrive back in Chicago.  Then I will have a month on Lupron prior to starting any other IVF drugs, which means my cycle will really start in mid-February and I probably won’t have a retrieval (if I get that far) until the beginning of March.  (For more on the basics of IVF go here.)

I am definitely worried about even getting to the retrieval phase.  Based on my experience last time with the three-month Lupron shot, I had no sign of a period even three months after surgery and after the shot was supposed to be out of my system.  I had to take progesterone to “jump start” my system again so I wonder if the Lupron is going to heavily suppress my reproductive system again.

I keep telling myself not to put too much hope into the first cycle.  I never used injectables with my IUIs so I have no idea what the fertility drugs are going to do to my system and neither does the doctor because every patient responds differently.  So will the Lupron over suppress and I won’t have any eggs and/or I won’t have eggs big enough to even retrieve?

But when I start to worry too much, I try to think of my motto for the year.  While CP and I do have to think about what happens if any IVF cycle(s) don’t go well or don’t work, I don’t want us to dwell on it.

I'm just really ready to get this show on the road after so many months of WAITING!!  Bring on the month of hot flashes baby.

10 comments:

  1. New to your blog and wanted to say thank you for stopping by mine. I look forward to getting caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gasped when I opened your blog and saw the pics of the pups! It was such a nice surprise...they are the cutest things EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new blog photo! Can't wait to see pictures of your baby snuggling with the pups a year from now:) I worry about being over-supressed too, but I guess at the end of the day we just have to trust our Doctors and hope for the best. I know 2013 is going to be the year both of us get our BFP!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the new layout - those pups of yours are so darn cute.

    So, the month of hot flashes ... would you rather suffer through them in the winter, because it's cold outside and you can save money on heat at home (though, you might suffer at work if it's too hot) or would you rather suffer through them in summer, when you can kick up your feet in the nice air conditioned indoors?

    In other words, this is my way of saying I'm here supporting you and have no idea what else to say. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know of someone who conceived just after her one month Lupron wore off (albeit, spontaneous and unplanned) so hopefully it won't have the same over suppressive effects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, love the new look!!

    Sad that you won't be doing your IVF at the same time as me, although I'm just about to write a post about why I'm convinced this Lupron is over-suppressing me already and my IVF might be delayed, too! :( You seem to be pretty zen about this, but I am totally twitchy about ANY delays at all right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like we could be cycling about the same time. I will be glad to have a pincushion buddy.

    I love the two smiley faces that greet me now when I log on to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Puppies!!! Love the header.

    It is frustrating when you are ready to go but there are the unexpected delays. The process will be here before you know it, it sneaks up on you.

    Good luck and I am here if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh. Delays are the worst. You can join me on the bench this month.

    I have never been on Lupron because my RE doesn't use it on any of his patients. He seems to be in the minority. I'm not exactly dying to be put on Lupron so I am quite OK with that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really have had months of waiting. I think you've handled it with aplomb! I also appreciate your realistic take on the first round of IVF, but I also hope that you respond in a textbook fashion resulting in a beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete