Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

12.21.2012

Consult


Today was our IVF consult with the doctor.  She (of course) was running 40 minutes late and did not come bearing fantastic news….but at least I felt as if she answered all of my questions (most of the questions came from reading your blogs so THANK YOU!).

The BAD:
No one told me this at the CT clinic, but when they did my bloodwork last August I guess my FSH level was 13 and my AMH was .012 (I think I wrote this down correctly).*  Normal FSH is no more than 10 and normal AMH is more than 1.  Basically, this calls into question my egg quality and why my CT clinic didn’t think to tell me about this boggles my mind (I should have asked for the specific numbers but everyone said things were normal and I was more shocked at the large fibroid in my uterus).  If I had known that I may have poor egg quality and that I might have low ovarian reserve I might have moved to IVF sooner simply because I knew I was running out of time.  My doctor did say that some of these indicators may be off because of my endometriosis, but still.  Plus we have to think about my age…… Motherf*c&^#g stupid body.

*If anyone has more information on either of these results please give me some advice in the comments. Should I be taking any multivitamins??  I forgot to ask my doctor if there was anything I could be doing.

The PLAN:
The doctor would like to see me take a one month shot of Depo Lupron.  It would be the same shot as the three month shot I had prior to my surgery, but (obviously) only last one month.  She said that it can help pregnancy rates with IVF.  I’m okay with it and can deal with one month of hot flashes.  I did mention that it seemed to really suppress my system after my surgery (it took three months and a progesterone shot to jump start my period), so hopefully she remembers that for the rest of my medications.  Fingers crossed my clinic can get the shot in before I leave for NY (more on that tomorrow).

I asked about endometrial scratching which a bunch of you lovely ladies have referenced recently with helping with implantation.  My doctor doesn’t recommend it with the first IVF but it certainly willing to try it if the first time around doesn’t work.  I told her she is the expert so I was fine with her decision.

Prior to any other medications I will get my bloodwork tested again (hopefully with better results).  Also, because I am moving to an HMO in order to get coverage for IVF, I have an appointment with a primary care physician so that I can get referred over to my clinic for treatment (sooo silly but whatever).

Other than that, CP has to freeze a sample next week just in case he is out of town for the retrieval process.  His travel schedule next month is quite insane.

And now I twiddle my thumbs and wait for my next period and my PCP appt on the 14th

---------------------------------------------

To try to end this Friday post on a better note, did you guys see the 25 Best Autocorrects from 2012 on Buzzfeed?  Seriously, you will want to click over and check it out.  I was DYING at “Skittletits.”  Pretty sure that is going to be my new swear word.  Oh you are just now telling me I have a high FSH and low AMH levels?  SKITTLETITS!!

9 comments:

Andy said...

I hope that this next month goes by super quickly for you and that you get AF soon!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe they didn't tell you that. What crap. Skittletits is right. Absolute skittletits. I'm glad that your new doctor is on it and has a plan.

Aramis said...

Hi from ICLW! I have an AMH of 0.17, and though my FSH isn't usually high my estrogen is. My doc said that this meant that we didn't have much time and we moved to IVF right away. She also recommended taking 400mg of CoQ10 twice per day...apparently there have been studies showing that it can improve egg quality. I'm always around to chat about crappy eggs, since it seems to be my specialty!

Christina said...

How freaking frustrating that your other RE chose not to share the news about your FSH. I heard that metforim (a drug for diabetes type 2) improves egg quality, it may be something to look at.

your new RE seems to be ready to work with you as a partnership.

good luck!

JenS said...

Hi from ICLW! My AMH is super low - cant remember the number right now. FSH getting high. My acupuncturist recommended DHEA and melatonin to help egg quality. I also added CoQ10 and royal jelly. Figure I'll hit those eggs with everything.

jAllen said...

You have a great sense of humour that will get your through this proces! Sounds like you have a better relationship with your new RE. Best to you ICLW #58

erika said...

I wish you the best with your upcoming IVF cycle! January IVF rocks! that was our lucky month.
ICLW#51

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

Visiting from ICLW. It sounds like you ave a good game plan. Hope the time waiting flies by.

Anonymous said...

I can't BELIEVE they didn't tell you about your AMH and FSH?! That is awful, such an oversight.
I hope you are ok. Drs clearly need nagging, so frustrating.