Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

2.02.2016

First trimester recap

I can't believe that I am already in the second trimester! I feel like the weeks have been ticking by so slowly and I didn't even have to go through the dreaded two week wait! This whole getting pregnant naturally still blows my mind and I think that I have been more nervous throughout this pregnancy than I was with Izzy. It's sort of crazy because people have natural pregnancies ALL THE TIME. But after three years of not getting pregnant naturally and having to go through IVF, the lack of drugs and extra ultrasounds has been unnerving. Hopefully now that I am in the second trimester I can relax a little bit.

Once again, I had a fairly easy first trimester. Thank you body for no morning sickness and for simply being a little queasy when I didn't eat something fast enough. After finding out that I was pregnant I had a few nosebleeds (something I remember getting later in my pregnancy with Izzy), I was EXHAUSTED, cold, and got a little dizzy when I stood up to quickly (especially when holding Izzy). Of course the dreaded constipation came back into play which I have tried to counteract with a daily prune. 

Around 8 weeks or so I started to get some heartburn which I definitely don't remember getting this early, I would get out of breath quickly when going up stairs and if I stayed very still in bed at night, I could feel blood flowing near my uterus.

Since then I have had a few instances of round ligament pain, which has felt like sharp pain in my lower right belly, when sneezing, coughing, or getting up from the floor. My doctor says that I'll probably have more round ligament pain this time around because my muscles have stretched from my last pregnancy. More recently I have noticed how seriously heavy my breasts are these days and want to wear a sports bra as much as possible instead of a real bra. I also had one day where there was a sharp pain in my breast, but it went away the next day. Maybe because it's a boy but I have been breaking out more during this pregnancy, especially near my hair line and eyebrows. I am also STARVING. I crave carbs in the morning (especially bagels) and have had a lot of cravings for meat already (cheesesteak and cheeseburgers). I practically became a vegetarian during my pregnancy with Izzy so this has been different.

I got lazy and started wear maternity pants around 11 weeks. Last time I think it was closer to 17 weeks but I wore a lot of stretchy pants during the inbetween weeks and I didn't feel like pulling those out again. I don't really have enough of a belly to keep the pants up all of the time, but they are so comfortable I really don't care. :-) It looks like I have gained 4 pounds so far this pregnancy (last pregnancy I gained nothing in the first trimester).

Despite the exhaustion, I have been blessed with an easy first trimester. The boy has looked good on all of the ultrasounds and he passed the genetic abnormalities blood test. I really can't complain. This weekend I didn't get to take a nap and realized that I didn't necessary need one so I think my exhaustion is starting to lift. Here's hoping for a good second trimester!

6 comments:

Lacey Bean said...

So glad its been good for you!! Fingers crossed for the rest of the pregnancy being just as easy!

Have you decided anything about telling vs not telling your bosses until after you apply for that supervisor position?

jAllen said...

Oh, I remember bagels! I think I went almost two years without having a bagel, and when I was about 10 ish weeks pregnant, our office received a big basket of bagels as a holiday present. I think it ate three of them. So excited that you're out of the first trimester!

Amy Jo said...

I'm seriously so freaking happy for you and CP! Every time I read an update my smile gets bigger and bigger

Alice said...

Ha, even though I just had my (second) breakfast this immediately made me crave a bagel. Mmmmm bagellll...

SO HAPPY to hear your first trimester has wrapped up so nicely! It's so interesting to hear the differences between pregnancies, even with the same person. It gives me hope for my future pregnancies ;-)

Gypsy Mama said...

Things are going well for you by the sounds of it! My exhaustion didn't let up until 17ish weeks, I am so happy for you that you don't have to deal with that anymore. Congrats on being 1/3 of the way there!

Jess said...

Yay! So glad you're in the second trimester now!