I thought that I would wait until CP came home in case it was a sh*t show but this past weekend I had a three day weekend, which I thought might be the perfect time. On Friday night, Izzy had her last sip of milk from a bottle.
Saturday morning she was unhappy and cranky as I only offered her milk in a sippy. She had a big breakfast and we played for a while. Luckily we had a free music class planned that morning at the library so she was distracted from the lack of milk, at least for an hour.
![]() |
| Putting felt snowflakes on the board at music class. |
The rest of the day she was extra cranky and crying but I did my best to distract her. She didn't drink much water throughout the day (maybe 3 oz?) which I was trying to push when she wouldn't drink milk. So it wasn't a surprise when Izzy woke up constipated on Sunday morning, most likely due to dehydration. Her poops were like rabbit poops. She didn't want water so I decided to take her shopping as my neighbor told me about think baby sippy cups. Off we went to Toys R Us where we found nothing. I did find a MAM bottle that had a soft nipple that you could swap out for a hard one later on and bought that but of course once I brought home, Izzy wouldn't drink from it.
At this point i was questioning this transition. Is she ever going to drink milk again? Why is she not drinking water?? I ran into neighbors on my street and asked their opinion on what I should do. Their advice was to stick with it since you have already put two days in and give her prunes or prune juice, watery fruits and applesauce. (They also thought that it was crazy that I was doing this without CP.) I was already doing most of those, but ran to the store with Izzy to grab grapes and prune juice. She gobbled up the grapes but of course wouldn't drink the prune juice.
Monday I had the day off so I took Izzy to the Shedd Aquarium. Still no milk in a sippy, but at least the prunes and grapes did a good job overnight. I got her to drink some water out of my water glass at lunch.
![]() |
| Fish! |
Lo and behold when I picked Izzy up from daycare on Tuesday she had chugged the milk out of a sippy at lunch! She still refused to do it at home for dinner but it was a start. Yesterday she refused the milk again in the morning but chugged it at daycare for breakfast and lunch. Last night she finally drank some with dinner and then the rest right before bed (unfortunately right after brushing her teeth but oh well). This morning? Downed the sippy.
Yay! We are free of bottles!
Note to myself: stick with it when you do these transitions. Maybe make sure CP is home so that he can help out as well, even if it is just saying "stick with it." Thank goodness for my neighbors who have all been through these things and have lots of good advice!
************************************************
On a side note, Izzy had another big girl moment yesterday. Daycare starts to move the 14 month old kids over to the next room to get them used to the transition- new teachers, sleeping in a cot, sleeping at the same time, etc and Izzy's first day over there was yesterday! She went to sleep in the cot all by herself and did great! She did wake up crying because I'm sure she was quite confused as to where she was, but the teacher said that happens even to kids that have been in that room for months. Yay Izzy!
On Facetime last night CP then asked if we should start transitioning her to a toddler bed and I just laughed. Oh honey, we are going to want to keep her in her cage crib as long as possible....


2 comments:
What type of sippy cup do you use? Can you post a picture?
I want to do this! My girls are still drinking 3 bottles of milk a day and I really want to switch them to sippy cups but they will only drink water out of sippy cups. SH does not think it's a big deal if they keep using bottles and since he stays home with them, we are going with what he wants. Ugh. It will be really hard to convince him if he thinks they won't drink anything for a few days. I guess I need to keep working on him.
Post a Comment