Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

2.23.2011

Doggies

This past weekend CP and I headed to the CT Dog Show. Have you ever seen the movie “Best in Show”? That movie and the characters were pretty much spot on.

We didn’t go into the weekend planning on going to the dog show. But on Saturday afternoon I spoke to the CT Berner breeder to set up a time to meet with her. Not necessarily an interview for us to be puppy parents, but a chance to get to know us and make sure that we are good doggy parents in general. She mentioned that a couple of her Berners were going to be in the show on Sunday….we thought it might be a good opportunity to suck up, I mean, meet her.

We arrived not to find stadium seating as we were expecting, but plastic fencing to mark the borders of seven different “rings.” Seating was on the floor or camp chairs that you had to know to bring in advance. This was clearly not the Westminster Dog Show. We ended up standing the entire time. Mostly because dogs would pee/get so excited they would accidently pee wherever they were. So it was just safer to stand. :-)

Away from the fencing was the “prep” area. Dogs of all sizes, colors and breeds had their nails cut, their fur cleaned and then dried with a hair dryer. The poodles looked especially ridonkulous. It was crazy.


Picture found here


We focused on the bigger dogs- there were some adorable Great Danes, Great Pyrenees and St. Bernards, but we were (of course) partial to the Berners. We did find a new, very cute breed at the show- Leonberger. Ever heard of them? Adorable.



We didn’t quite know what was going on with the judging stuff, what they look for, etc. but one of the Berners wasn’t too happy when the judge had to feel his balls. Ha! We watched the agility stuff for a few minutes too- it was young dogs taking commands from owners. It included a jump over a fence to retrieve a toy which was adorable! Although the dog show stuff is not of interest to me, the agility stuff I could watch again.

Anyway, so we ended up meeting with the breeder and talking to her while watching her dogs compete. Luckily she was not over the top crazy as some of the other owners at the show. And our “interview” went well- she deemed us good puppy parents! YAY! So the next step is waiting for her current female to give birth (in about 2-3 weeks). She was in the process of breeding another female that weekend too, so if it doesn’t work out with the currently pregnant female, then there will hopefully be another litter in about 9 weeks. :-)

In the past month we have run into two Berner puppies- one at our beef CSA farm and the other at the dog show. OH MY GOD THEY WERE SO ADORABLE. I seriously wanted to steal them. Seeing them made me even more excited for the new puppy that we are going to have in just a few short months!!!

2 comments:

Libby said...

So fun!

You know I'm a doodle fan (I love our goldendoodle) & so I had to laugh the when I ran across a Bernedoodle on the doodle website I'm on -- made me think of you! They are so stinkin' cute -- I may have mentioned them before, but I don't remember for sure.

Non Sequitur Chica said...

I have never heard of a Bernedoodle! What the heck does it look like?