I have continued to read a
bunch of books on my Nook. All ratings
out of a possible 5 stars.
A World I Never Made by James
LePore (free Nook book)
2 stars
An American father is
summoned to Paris to claim the body of his estranged daughter, who has
committed suicide. However, it is not
his daughter’s body and the father is convinced that she is in trouble. After about a day the father falls in love
with a police detective (ridiculous).
Thank goodness this was a free Nook Book because the love story is hokey
and the book is about a clichéd as one could get.
Bring on the Blessings by
Beverly Jenkins (free Nook book)
2 stars
A rich recently divorced
ex-social worker buys a failing town on the Internet to try to turn it
around. She not only wants to save the
town, but also create a community for troubled foster kids. The characters were silly, the plot was
obvious, and the writing was awful. I
can’t believe that it gets such great reviews on Goodreads.
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire
Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
4 stars
After stumbling upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln,
the author pens a biography of Abraham Lincoln using historical facts and
describing how vampires played a role in Lincoln’s life. Maybe I am not doing the book justice with
that one sentence synopsis, but I was impressed that the author did so much
research into Lincoln’s life while intertwining the whole vampire hunter aspect
into the book.
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L.
James
2 stars
So my coworker happened to
bring the first two books on our trip down to DC so I asked to borrow the first
one to see what all of the hype was about.
Let’s just say that I wasn’t impressed.
The writing was really awful. I
mean, I get that this 21 year old girl is naïve, but saying stuff like “then he
touched me down there” is
ridiculous. My coworker was seriously gaga
over the whole story and Christian Grey (she is really excited about the C.G.
adult toy line coming out) whereas I want nothing to do with it. I will not be reading the next two books.
A Heartbreaking Work of
Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
3 stars
A “humorous” memoir of the
author’s early 20s when he loses both of his parents to cancer in the span of
five weeks and inherits his 8-year-old brother.
At times a great book, at times a confusing book. I loved the references to the northern
suburbs of Chicago, but I thought that sometimes he was trying to be too funny
and too out there. He is a talented
writer, but I don’t think his style of writing is for me.
Summer of Fire by Linda
Jacobs (free Nook book)
3 stars
A fictional tale of Claire
Chance, a firefighter and single mother, who after losing her mentor and
co-worker in a roof collapse, heads to Yellowstone in 1998 to battle the fires
in the National Park. The author used
real fire reports from 1998 for the story which was a nice touch. The book was entertaining enough- I think
that it was helped by the fact that when I went to Yellowstone back in 2006, I could
still see the fire damage.
212 (Ellie Hatcher #3) by Alafair
Burke (free Nook book)
3 stars
Standard detective novel where
plot twists are not tied up until late in the book after a series of murders
that can’t be connected. Entertaining
enough for a free book, but I’m not sure that I will pay to read any of this
author’s other novels.
Birdman by Mo Hayder (free
Nook book)
3 stars
Five bodies, all young women,
all ritualistically murdered and dumped in a wasteland. In his first case Detective Jack Caffery has
to find the sexual serial killer before he kills again. I have to admit- this book was pretty
gruesome. It’s also set in London and
had a bunch of lingo that I couldn’t quite catch onto because the acronyms are
not ones that we use here in the States.
So, not the best crop of
books these past few months. I did save a lot of money by mainly reading free Friday Nook books thought.... At least my
current book (Dark Places by Gillian Flynn) seems to be bucking the trend. Have you read any good books recently that
you can recommend?
2 comments:
I just finished two books that I absolutely loved:
"The Night Swimmer" by Matt Bondurant.
"Tell the Wolves I'm Home" by Carol Rifka Brunt
I read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter earlier this year and enjoyed it. It was pretty amusing and I too like the way the history was woven into the story. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm curious to see if they stuck to the original story line or not.
Post a Comment