Faced with the prospect of not working AND not having Izzy at home all day, after dropping her off at daycare and taking a short walk with Buster before it got too hot out, I went back to bed for almost two hours. It was glorious.
CP and I had a conference call with our financial advisor to talk to her about the house remodel, I had lunch, and then the mom guilt kicked in. I was still coughing, but no longer achy, and I was feeling rested. I needed to show that I actually did something with my time so I fired up some podcasts and did four loads of laundry, vacuumed rugs, swept floors, cleaned the kitchen, and cleaned the bathrooms. It actually was sort of enjoyable when listening to my podcasts at the same time (must have been a combination of the podcasts distracting from what I was doing and nesting).
But man, this mom guilt is crazy. When I was in the third trimester with Izzy, if I had a free day I would have felt somewhat obligated to do something with my time if I was feeling better, but I wouldn't necessarily do it. This time around I knew that I couldn't squander the entire day. I had taken care of myself that morning by sleeping, but I needed to justify the day off. CP was quite surprised when he came home and the house was so clean.
Today I am back at work, still coughing but not always tasting blood in my throat. I need to save my sick time so that I can get paid during my maternity leave, so I can't really afford to take any more days off. I don't really have the abs to do all of this coughing and I'm sure the baby is wondering what is going on with all of the belly shaking when I do cough! Fingers crossed I am feeling better by this weekend as it is my sister's wedding and I'm going to be tired enough from all of the activities without being sick as well.
4 comments:
Hope you feel better soon! All that housework would have given me Braxton Hicks for sure...
Lady, self-care is essential! I'm really glad you were able to take some time to get yourself on the road to recovery. (Also? A clean house always makes me feel better.)
xox
Hope you are feeling better soon! I bet it's a relief to have that housework done, but you need to take care of you too!
I hope you feel better! I think taking the day to care for yourself was the best thing you could have done, and you wouldn't have been able to concentrate on your rest if Izzy was home and not in daycare. Good for you for cleaning so much -- I'm impressed. I hope you have first floor laundry! :) Maybe the baby is enjoying a little bounce house action early with all your coughing. Ha, ha...
Post a Comment