Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

12.19.2017

Annual Pretty Princess Day

Wow I am seriously behind in updating my blog. This holiday season is totally kicking my a**! 

My annual pretty princess day (aka my birthday) was back on December 10th. The night before we had my mom come over to babysit and CP and I went out for a nice dinner where the restaurant comped us dessert and two drinks for asking us to move tables between appetizers and entrees (sweet!). From there we headed to a neighbor's Christmas party for a little bit before leaving the party with another couple to go to a local bar. The wife and I both have a December 10th birthday so we celebrated with some prosecco and stayed out until 1am!

All of the drinks made it hard to wake up the next morning, but CP was nice enough to let me sleep in a little bit before we had to gather everyone for swim practice. After swimming my mom, Izzy, and I headed downtown for a scavenger hunt at the Art Institute of Chicago. My mom has been trying to take Izzy for two years now and I finally thought that she would at least be entertained and not a disaster this year. The theme was horses and the event was actually very cool. The hunt took you all over the building and the kids had to think about the different art pieces, either drawing some of their own, making their own version of the piece with yarn, etc. Izzy did FANTASTIC and was super well behaved the entire day which was very helpful as a hungover parent. There was one awkward moment where the kids were instructed to draw a memory of an animal or pet. The staff member was asking Izzy about whether she had a pet and she said, "yes a dog. But he died." She seemed okay about it, but I felt bad for the staff member who clearly wasn't expecting that response.

After the hunt the event included lunch where Izzy was really excited to put sprinkles, marshmallows, and a candy cane into her hot chocolate. My Dad met us at the lunch and afterwards wanted to show Izzy the miniature room section. To my surprise, she enjoyed checking out all of the rooms but at the end was bouncing off the walls so I knew it was time to leave. We headed back home to meet up with CP and Wes and instead of going out to dinner, we ordered in Thai food because I was exhausted and my head still hurt. Turns out when you turn 39 your hangover lasts a full day.... Oh, and the Eagles won for me so that was a treat (although terrible news for Wentz' ACL).

So there you go. My birthday was mostly all about Izzy which, as a parent, well, that happens.

I go into my 39th year with a great husband, two wonderful kids, a job that I enjoy, and a chaotic, but privileged life. Let's see what the next year brings!



*Curious as to why I call my birthday my annual pretty princess day? Basically it is because CP hates it and now years later, it has stuck. LOL.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Happy birthday a month late! Sounds just about perfect (minus the hangover), with a night out sans kids and then a day of fun with Izzy. The holidays pretty much kicked my a*# too, which is why I am just now reading and commenting on this post! All worth it though in the end. Hopefully for you too!