Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

3.31.2020

Quick check-in

My have things changed since I posted last month.

I finished the Beachbody MM100 workout before we left on our vacation to Hawaii. I wish I could say that I had the time to write up a real review, but I was SO PROUD that I finished all 100 workouts. I felt strong and amazing when I was done with the program.

Our family had a fantastic vacation in Maui. I will try to do a post with pictures if I can.

Then after we got back, I left the next day for a work trip to Vegas and had a long month of March traveling for work. That next week I was called back to Chicago from a work trip in Atlanta and travel was (thankfully) banned for the foreseeable future.

We are sheltering in place here in Chicago and while it is not easy, I know that I have it so much better than most. CP works from 6am-12pm everyday while I watch the kids; I work from 12-6pm and then again after the kids go to bed. I often have calls or things that I need to prior to 12pm so the kids have been introduced to ABC Mouse and have watched more tv than usual. If you remember part of my job (well, all of it right now) is disaster work and our country has never seen a disaster this big. So I am working A LOT at night and over the weekends to help communities respond and keep slowing the spread. However, I'm not on the front lines like a doctor/nurse, grocery store worker, delivery driver, shelter worker, etc., so again, I can't complain too much.

I have been trying to work out but it's hard to get myself up and out of bed to work out when I have been up late working and didn't get enough sleep.

I try to get the kids outside as much as possible although today it will be rainy and 40 and we likely won't go out for too long. They miss their friends. I miss hanging out with friends (we have done two virtual happy hours). I miss my parents. My sister and I had to yell at them a bit, but now they are understanding that even though they are relatively healthy 70 year olds, they should not be doing stupid things.

Hope all of you are staying sane and healthy.


2 comments:

Jess said...

It is amazing how quickly things changed. I am glad you are safe and holed up and have a schedule that works well enough. My best friend called me last week and said, "There are water balloons. IN MY HOUSE. I guess I just have to let go of some things..." :)

I hear you on the yelling at parents. Mine are actively not telling the truth, they are saying "oh no, no more social visits!" but then there are heads of other people in their facebook posts, like we weren't going to notice that. The reversal is real weird.

jAllen said...

Thanks for checking in! We’re also splitting the time. Husband works from home and takes the morning shift, I’m only working half days and I take the afternoon. We introduced ABC Mouse for when one of us has to take a call. It’s hard to maintain structure. Sometimes it’s good to let her creativity take the lead, but I fear she’s not going to be able to follow directions when she gets back to school .
I had to yell at my parents too. It was satisfying to say “you’re grounded!”