Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

12.21.2011

Almost Wordless Wednesday- Bahamas edition!

Our Bahamas trip in pictures (at least the ones that I can show because we are not in them)....



We had free access to Atlantis which was AWESOME because they had a fun water park. I didn't think that I would still enjoy a water park at age 33, but it's a blast. This was one of the slides in the park- you could challenge someone to see who hit the water first. On the back side of this "Mayan Temple" is the slide that is shown in the commercials for Atlantis. It is a huge drop off, then you go through a tube that is surrounded by sharks before you hit the pool at the end. Very cool. By the end of the week we went down all of the different slides (half you went down with just your body, half you were in a tube) at least once.

We also enjoyed the "Raging Rapids"- think lazy river except with rapids while you are floating down in a one or two-person tube. That was especially fun after a few mango daquiris!




Atlantis has a HUGE aquarium where you can view all of the various fishes, sharks, manta rays, etc. three different ways- outside near the pools, in tunnels, and in a tube where the animals can swim right over your head. Here we were outside watching a funny looking shark swim around.


Hammerhead shark





Reef shark swimming above us in the tube.





This was the pool and a view of the condos where we stayed.




A local Bahamian restaurant where we had a delicious conch salad (think ceviche just with conch instead of shrimp or fish). Mmmm.




The amazingly turquoise waters of the Bahamas.






The horses in downtown Nassau all wore hats. Adorable!




One afternoon CP and I wandered around Paradise Island. I was ready to head home because my feet hurt when we came upon this place. Very pretty, even though we have no idea what this place was or who owned the property.




We did a total of three days of diving with Stuart's Cove Dive Shop. The reefs weren't that amazing, but we did get to do some wreck dives which was cool. A lot of celebrities dive with this shop so they had pictures all over the place with the various celebs (Matt Damon, Heidi Klum, Andy Samberg, etc.). One of our dives took us to an underwater Cessana plane used in one of the James Bond films.




View from the dive shop





Our last day of diving we went SHARK DIVING! The whole experience was very cool. We were surrounded by ~30 reef sharks for about 40 minutes. The dive masters had to wear chainmail because they fed the sharks the chum via a long stick. No cages for us which made me especially nervous, but after a while I relaxed and enjoyed the experience. The dive masters stressed keeping our hands as close to our body as possible, no sudden movements, etc. Towards the end a shark was gliding past me and I bravely stuck two fingers out to touch its body as it glided by. Very cool.



Overall we had a fantastic time at a very beautiful place. :-)

6 comments:

@JessEsco said...

How exciting! Glad you guys finally made it there.

Amy Jo said...

Gorgeous pics! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Ginger said...

Looks like a great trip! Glad you had a good birthday!

Roxy said...

I love the Bahamas! Glad you had a great trip!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Atlantis hotel/resort/mostly waterpark. I wish I could go back but I know it would cost a fortune. Glad you had fun! I'm jealous you got to go someplace warm for a while.

terra said...

Looks amazing! All those sharks would definitely be a little scary, but what a cool thing to be so close to them!