Ahhh the inspection on
our new house. We knew that it would
turn up some interesting things, but we didn’t know that it would be THIS extensive. CP, my dad, and the inspector ended up being
at the house for TWO HOURS.
Off the top of my head,
the house needs:
·
Complete rewiring of
electrical system including an upgraded panel and replacement all two-prong
sockets with three prong (inspector found some cloth wiring)
·
Whole-house re-do of
plumbing.
·
New AC unit (it is 40
yrs old and not working well)
·
New furnace (it is 40
yrs old and not working well)
·
New cook top, oven,
dishwasher, dryer (all not working)
·
New gutters (currently
being held up with duct tape)
·
New 2 x 6 rafters in
attic
·
New soffits
·
Absestos tile in the
basement- would need to tile over it
·
New siding
·
New windows
·
Chimney work (bricks are
crumbling)
·
New flooring around the
downstairs toilet (there have obviously been leaks that have not been cleaned
up properly)
·
New shutters
Basically the only new
thing in the house is the roof (two years old).
*Sigh*
The inspection report is
due today and at that point we will have the laundry list of things that need
to get done. Honestly? All of this stuff is making me nervous. I mean, we are still going through with the
purchase of the house, but I was hoping that most of the work that we would
have to do would be cosmetic, upgrading kitchens and bathrooms, maybe adding on
to the house…..not this kind of stuff.
We are going to have to
do some of these things immediately just to be able to live in the house-
things like the electrical rewiring of the house need to get done because some
of the new appliances will be too much of a load on the electrical panel if we
run more than one at a time.
Not sure what this means
for trying to get IVF done as soon as possible though. CP and I ended up switching from my insurance
to his and we are crossing our fingers that his insurance has to follow the IL
mandate. Unfortunately, because we don’t
have a permanent address in IL just yet we can’t switch over and CP is too busy
at his new job to call to find out the differences between coverage in CT and
IL. (annoying)
9 comments:
Two hours doesn't seem like an extensive amount of time. I feel like we spent easily that much, if not more time, with inspectors at both my condos, which were smaller than a house and had fewer issues. That said, it seems like this inspector certainly uncovered a lot in such a short amount of time.
If I were in your shoes, I think I'd call the people who will be doing the work to try to get an idea of how much it's going to cost ... then add 20% to that number ... and determine whether the total $$ to upgrade the house on top of the price to purchase it still makes sense. For your sake, I hope it does.
I agree with Nilsa on both points. Our house inspection was almost 3 hours, and there was very little wrong with it. I'd worry that he missed some little things that can really add up if he was only there for 2 hours.
You and CP have your work cut out for them. Have you considered looking at Angies's list for contractors who may be able to hit most of the items on your punch list?
Fingers crossed for the house and the IVF coverage.
Oh my gosh. That is A LOT of work. Wayyyy more than just a few updates and making some tweaks. I mean, doesn't it seem like the dryer and stove top are just peanuts now, and you were pretty put off by them? I hope it all works out!!
I watched The Money Pit the other day, just think of that, it looks like a mess and a stress while it is going on, but just think of the house they ended up with once all the work is done. It will be amazing, because the house will be all yours and all that work will make it mean so much more to you.
Wowzers! That's a lot of things to have to deal with. And part of the reason hubby and I bought a brand new house instead of a fix-er upper. We just didn't want to deal with that stress. You're much better than we are. :)
Good luck with the house, the move and IVF!!
And thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate it!
Why can't we have a magic butler to just do all this stuff FOR us?
I cringed while reading that list! You must be a much more patient person than I am because my anxiety is through the roof trying to imagine tackling such a project. I hope it all works out for you guys (which I'm sure it will). Best of luck!
Wow!
I have to agree with Nilsa as well. Price it all out (and factor in all the time it will take to do the actual work) and compare the total cost of the house+renos (+time and stress) and see how it compares to buying a more updated house.
I know that windows, electrical, chimney, plumbing are all relatively expensive...
Have you (or CP) even looked at anything else?
Good luck!
Post a Comment