Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

4.02.2013

Thankful

Today of all days is a day that I am very thankful for my health and my life. CP and I have had our infertility struggle, but otherwise we are healthy and happy.

Meanwhile I have two friends that can't say the same thing. 

One friend is s friend from college. He played on the football team with my ex-boyfriend and was the nicest guy in the world. Fairly soon after college he started to get sick and thought that he may have Lyme disease. Unfortunately, it turned out that he has ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's Disease). He has gone from a strong, muscular athlete to a gaunt man in a wheelchair. I'm not sure how he keeps his spirits up, but despite his recent hospitalizations, surgeries, etc he still has a smile on his face. I fear that he is not long for this world....when he does pass it will be a shame that someone so nice and thoughtful will no longer be around to brighten everyone's day.

My other friend is a law school friend that is right now in brain surgery. He had a seizure in court a few weeks ago and after undergoing tests, doctors found a brain tumor in his frontal lobe. My friend has kept his spirits up- making fun of himself and his recent forgetfulness, calling his tumor "Joffrey" (the name of an evil king from Game of Thrones), and asking friends what his doctor should tweak in his brain while he is in there. He has no idea what he is going to be like when he gets out of surgery. Can he work? Will he have a different personality? Will he lose some major brain function?  Will the tumor be benign?  It's insane.

So today I will be busy sending all kinds of good thoughts to my friends. Life isn't perfect, but sometimes you just have to look around to see how good you have it.

10 comments:

Tia said...

Oh my gosh, my heart breaks for your friends. My grandfather died of ALS in his late 60's. It's an awful, awful disease. I can't imagine having it as a young person.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'm so sorry about your friends.

Amber said...

I'm so sorry about your friends. Life often hands us reminders to let us know how fragile it is and how much we need to be thankful for our loved ones.

Just T said...

You nailed it on the head. Thank you so much for putting things in perspective. Sometimes we need reminders of how good our lives are, just by having our health.

I am sorry for what your friends are going through :(

JenS said...

Despite everything, we are indeed lucky to have our health. I had a friend who had brain surgery several years ago and it was so scary. Thankfully, she is completely ok now. I hope your friend is, too.

wherethebleepisourstork said...

Sending lots of good vibes to you and your friends.

Anonymous said...

Yea, whenever I think, "How unlucky I am that Im in that rare 10% of infertile people" I have to follow that with "How lucky that I enjoy a lifestyle enjoyed by only about 10% of people on earth." I'm sorry about your friends, Im sending positive energy there way.

Shelley said...

Sending many prayers your way. I lost my mother in law to ALS in the fall and a friend's sister to brain cancer over the summer and can empathize with what you must be going through.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit, it is TERRIFYING when stuff like this happens, especially to your friends who are so young and in good health (seemingly). It really is a constant reminder that, as painful as infertility is, it's better to have pissy ovaries than ALS or brain cancer. So sad... am definitely feeling very, very thankful today!

jAllen said...

I had a similar experience, this summer we ran into a friend from Uni and learned he has a severe neurological disorder similar to ALS, and carries a poor prognosis. What makes it even more sad, is that he always wanted kids but his wife didn't. I hate to say it, but it's a good thing they didn't.