(I wrote this almost two weeks ago and had formatting issues that
couldn't be fixed on my iPad. This is the first time I have been able to get to
a computer.)
Well, it seems like every new mom not only has a birth story posted, but also a post on breastfeeding. I might as well join the club.
I went into breastfeeding fully convinced that it was going to be
HARD. Reading posts from Bits and Peaces and Esperanza along with getting advice from
friends like "don't quit on your worst day" and "I cried for 6
weeks straight" made me nervous. When people asked if I was going to
breastfeed, I would say "I hope so!" but I knew that there was a
possibility that it wouldn't work out. I also talked with CP beforehand,
telling him that I would need support and for him to not let me quit. We also went
to a breastfeeding class together. I'm happy to say that even though Izzy and I
have had our ups and downs, three weeks into being a milk machine, it is
working out.
Izzy lost 10.4% of her birth weight in the hospital. She had a
good latch with a wide mouth, but fell asleep quickly after latching on. Once I
got home from the hospital my milk was in but because she would fall asleep, I
would have to switch boobs 4-5 times a feeding. I didn't think that was normal,
but she was feeding every three hours and didn't seem to starve inbetween. Now
I'm pretty sure that she wasn't getting the more caloric milk that comes
after nursing for 5 minutes and thus not gaining enough weight.
One week after birth she was at 7 lbs 7 oz (birth weight was 8 lbs
3 oz). Two weeks after birth (when a baby is supposed to be up to their birth
weight) she was only up to 7 lbs 13 oz. To my doctor's credit,
even at two weeks he didn't talk about supplementing with formula- yet. But I
did start pumping once a day after a feeding and then giving that bottle to
Izzy.
Tips in the hospital that were very helpful included tickling or
tapping the bottom of Izzy's feet, touching her body with a wet
washcloth, stroking her chin, and taking off all of her clothes- all of
these in an effort to keep her awake. We also tried lots of "aids"
while in the hospital- nipple shells, the pump (including a bottle to feed her
the pumped milk), a syringe to put milk on/near her lips, and the nipple
shield. I was worried about the use of these aids on whether it would lead to
the dreaded nipple confusion, but one of the lactation consultants told me that
in all of her years, she has only seen nipple confusion happen once. I'm pretty
happy with the fact that we used so many aids as I learned how to use the pump
before leaving the hospital and from feeding Izzy bottles of my pumped milk,
she is already used to bottle feeding and that won't be a problem when she
heads to daycare. Even using the nipple shields for the past two+ weeks hasn't
been the end of the world. I have offered my naked nipples a couple of times
and she has been fine eating from them- the shields help her stay awake longer
though by stimulating the roof of her mouth when she eats. At some point I may
get rid of them, but for now they are fine.
D day was yesterday (note: the Thursday before Christmas) when
Izzy had a weight check at one day shy of 3 weeks old. She had to be above her
birth weight or else. I told her to hold her pees and poos until after she got
on the scale, but of course she had a massive diaper when we started to take
her clothes off. In the end, it didn't matter as she weighed in at 8 lbs 8 oz
and I could officially breathe a sigh of relief.
So what advice can I offer? I think that going into the
breastfeeding experience knowing that both you and your baby need to learn and
work together is key. It's not going to be easy, so having patience and not
freaking out during the first couple of days makes a world of difference when
it comes to your sanity. Know that breastfeeding is not painless- so far it
hasn't been too painful, but my right nipple has a tendency to crack (as it is
right now), and that doesn't exactly feel great... My last tidbit of advice is to take advantage
of any tips and aids offered in the hospital. Izzy and I would not be where we
are without them.
(Since I wrote this Izzy and I have done even better. No more
cracked nipples, no more using lanolin, and at her 1 month checkup Izzy weighed
9 lbs 4.7 oz.)
8 comments:
I am so glad to hear breastfeeding is going well!! I don't expect it to go perfectly smooth, but I love reading success stories. It's great to be part of this community and be able to learn from each other's experiences. I have a friend who struggled a lot with breastfeeding and she was totally not prepared going in.
Glad Izzy is packing on the weight :)
As someone who had too many obstacles to breastfeeding, it's actually kind of nice to hear about it working out. I wouldn't wish the stress or tears I had in those first six weeks on anyone.
I'm so happy to hear good news from your breastfeeding journey ... It's one piece that I didn't really think about much, but now that our baby will be here any day, I'm reallllyyyy hoping for a smooth transition!! Happy New Year!
I think in most of the tough situations you've posted about, you are always really good at remaining calm and not stressing out prematurely. That's a quality I really admire as I'm the total opposite. I wonder if being calm helped the process? Either way, I'm glad it's been a fairly easy process so far and that Izzy gained weight!
It is amazing how many different ways there are for breast feeding to be a challenge . I can't decide which is the hardest, but I do know what you went through must have been so stressful. We only had a few days where he wasn't gaining weight, and that was enough. So glad things are going better for you now and glad you wrote this post because I'm sure it will help others.
Wonderful news! I am so glad breastfeeding is working so well for you. I too had it easy (and still do) for the most part with breast feeding. There were a few days/nights when I did want to through in the towel (I did blog about those), but overall, it hasn't been too bad. In fact, Paxlet is 1yr 4mo and still breastfeeds at lest twice a day (3 on weekends). I have no idea when we'll stop, but it's still working for us.
I found Lansinoh (lanolin) to be a lifesaver for my nips and even though I ended up with a whole tube of the stuff unused, it works wonders for baby butts at the start of a rash. We've never had a full on diaper rash here and I "blame" it on that stuff. :)
Glad to hear that breastfeeding is going well. And I echo JustMe's thoughts that it's amazing that there are so many different ways for breastfeeding to be a challenge and how that can differ dramatically sometimes from one child to the next. My sister had undersupply issues with her first and now is dealing with oversupply with her second (and thrush...I feel so bad for her right now!) Ay yi yi.
You seem to be doing so well with everything - like you are taking all the newness and challenges in stride and adapting really well. Kudos to you, Mama!
Breast feeding is a learning process for both mom and baby, that is for sure. I'm glad you and Izzy are figuring out what works for you!
Post a Comment