Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

10.09.2014

Skin creams

After reading an article about the two things that dermatologists suggest you use on a daily basis (sunscreen and a product with retinoid), I decided to get real about my skin care. I'm 35 and I looked in the mirror about a week ago and saw crows feet. Not just one line, but a number of lines. Yikes. And here I thought I had been good about putting eye cream on for the last couple of years.

Earlier this year the Environmental Working Group sent an email out that if you gave $55 to the group you would receive a sample pack of low-chemical sunscreens/moisturizers with sunscreen. I jumped on the chance to try out some new products as I was looking for a moisturizer with sunscreen for daily use anyway. I HATE buying tubes of products- whether they are shampoos, moisturizers, etc. and then not liking the product because it is a waste of money. I have pretty sensitive skin so I have to be careful what I put on it. But the sampler pack was great- I could try out a number of products and it wouldn't be too much of a waste if I didn't like them. Plus, I can give a donation to a group that I look to all the time- whether it is information on the Dirty Dozen (fruits/veggies with the highest pesticide use) or the Skin Deep database (to look up the chemical makeup of products).



The first product I tried was Badger sunscreen for Izzy. It's a little hard to rub on her but I have kept it in the stroller and use it every time we go for a walk so I would say that it's a keeper. Meanwhile I tried out a moisturizer plus sunscreen product which my sensitive skin didn't love (Juice Beauty), so I picked another one out of the box. Maybe I needed to use a pure sunscreen product after my moisturizer? Luckily I already use MyChelle moisturizer so applying the sunscreen right afterwards was simple.

All summer long I used my new sunscreen and was happy that I was protecting my face. But now I figured I should use a retinoid cream as well. I wasn't sure where to start. I googled different creams that I had heard of and every website has a article on how such-and-such cream doesn't work but X cream (which they happen to sell) does work! Waste of time. Instead I went into Walgreens and picked up one of the first tubes that I saw- Neutrogena. Sure I could look up the serum in the Skin Deep database, but frankly, I want something that is going to work and I could imagine that retinoid creams are not highly rated on the EWG website (holding hands over eyes- la la la la la).



I have been using the serum for about a week now and it has been easy to incorporate into my daily routine. I do think that I should start using it at night but I tend to not wash my face at night (I generally don't wear any makeup) so we'll see. Also, it looks like if I get pregnant again, I will have to discontinue use of the product (according to the article). For now, we will see if it works!

Do you use a retinoid cream? If so, which one do you use?

4 comments:

Gypsy Mama said...

I bought a retinoid cream once, I think it was called retinol... but my face git very dry and red. I have dry sensitive skin anyway, so I didn't like it.

We bought the badger sunscreen for Paloma to use on our upcoming Mexico vacation. It looks good!

@JessEsco said...

I was just thinking the same thing. I really want to get serious about my skin. I prefer not to wear makeup and the only reason I do is because of my skin tone. I wish I had flawless pretty skin (or at least mediocre) so I could just wear some lotion and go. Middle ground is I wear BB cream, which I guess is light color with the benefits of moisturizers? Who knows.

Ali W said...

I was thinking the same thing, I'm not getting any younger and I should prob take care of this now!! Thank you for posting - I want to hear results!!

Amber said...

Is it sad that I don't even know what retinoid cream is or what it's used for? I will have to look it up.