I had hopes that IVF #2 would start tonight with Lupron shots but not surprisingly, my hopes were dashed. Everything seems to be going well with my body- my hormones are quiet and the cyst is gone. However, the CMV issue is not going away.
The nurse called today and told me that my RE said that we could start the cycle but it would be a freeze all cycle and whenever our CMV tests were negative, we could do the transfer. I am not cool with that.
First, if I still have active CMV then what's to say that it won't affect my embryos? I would rather wait until the infection is totally gone which could take months OR get the all-clear from an infectious disease doctor. My RE talking to my primary care physician is nice and all but neither of them are experts in CMV and pregnancy.
Second, when we met with the RE for our consult, I told her that I was more comfortable with transferring after a fresh cycle as that's how we had Izzy. A frozen transfer would definitely mean PIO shots and I don't particularly want to give them to myself if CP is traveling and I can help it. I don't produce a lot of eggs so adding in extra steps of freezing/thawing doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
My RE took two vials of blood from me today- one to do the regular hormone tests and one to see if my CMV was gone. I had the nurse delete the CMV test (she said that it could still be done) because if I just had the test last week, nothing is going to change in a week. It's been almost 3 months since I first tested- clearly my RE knows nothing about CMV if she thinks that my test is suddenly going to change in a week.
The new plan? Stay on birth control and skip my period while hoping to get an appointment with CP's infectious disease doctor soon to hopefully get the all-clear. I hate to have to "plan" the cycle around an event but my sister's wedding is in late May next year. If I get pregnant in August (if the cycle even works) then my due date would be in May. Not ideal as I will have to have a c-section again. So if we don't get in to see the ID doctor soon, then it looks like the earliest we would cycle would be September. And the wait continues......
(Sorry if the formatting is weird- blogging from my iPad)
14 comments:
Ugh I hope the CMV clears quickly. I totally agree with you, I'd wait to cycle until the infection is gone.
Ugh. This is all so frustrating. I hate dealing with stops and starts. I hope you get to move forward quickly.
How frustrating, especially feeling like you have to time all of this around the wedding. You have such a good attitude about all of this, though. You rarely sound negative or whiny despite all of these changes and setbacks and I give you a lot of credit for that. Hoping for the best with the infectious disease doctor!
So sorry for all the delays. What a major pain! I hope you are able to get in to see the Infectious Disease Dr soon.
Looks like you and I may be cycling together!
So sorry for all the delays. What a major pain! I hope you are able to get in to see the Infectious Disease Dr soon.
Looks like you and I may be cycling together!
So sorry for all the delays. What a major pain! I hope you are able to get in to see the Infectious Disease Dr soon.
Looks like you and I may be cycling together!
I hate that you keep getting delayed on this transfer, but totally agree that by waiting you are doing the right thing. I hope that this stupid infection clears up soon and you can move forward.
This is terribly frustrating news. Hopefully the ID physician can shed some light and give you the all clear very soon.
Good for you for calling out that your RE isn't the one to make decisions on the CMV issue. Hope you're able to see the ID specialist soon
Ughh. Sorry to hear about the delays. I have a friend who is in the middle of her first IVF cycle (just had her transplant on Sunday!) and i am waiting on pins and needles to see how it goes for her. I'm learning so much about the process between your blog and her experience.
How incredibly frustrating. I think it's a good call to hold off until you can get answers from an expert. So tough to have to plan around an event next year, too. As if this whole process isn't hard enough.
Argh, that sounds so frustrating. I think you made the right call to go to the specialist though. Hope you get some good news soon!
On the PIO shots - it's possible to give them yourself into the back, though I found the acrobatics a little weird. You can do them in you thighs though, which at least logistically is easier. I still prefer H doing them though so I definitely understand if you prefer not needing them ;)
That would be frustrating.
I hope everything works out!
Oh, no. I'm so sorry that you are delayed again. How frustrating to have the CMV lingering, and doubly frustrating to have your medical team appear to be so unknowledgeable. I can understand your thoughts regarding fresh vs frozen, too. I hope your next screen is clear and you get some answers so you can get to cycling when it's ideal conditions.
Post a Comment