Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

11.18.2015

Clowns and IVF

Did you guys see this TIME article on how the use of "medical clowns" increased pregnancy rates?  

"A study of 229 Israeli women undergoing in-vitro fertilization (IVF) to treat infertility found that a 15-minute visit from a trained “medical clown” immediately after the embryos were placed in the womb increased the chance of pregnancy to 36%, compared with 20% for women whose embryo transfer was comedy-free."

First off, what is a medical clown? 

Secondly, I have already emailed CP to start preparing for his routine next month. :-)

4 comments:

Jess said...

Ummmm I have many questions, including what is a medical clown and also what does this mean about the soft factors for success? Like, are they saying that relaxing helps? Because REALLY? That trope again? Or... what? Is this something that can be reproduced by using something other than a medical clown, whatever that is, to achieve the same physiological effect in the woman? I NEED SOME ANSWERS.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

That's an oooooooold article. Clowns are freaky. I cannot imagine laughing and relaxing if a clown was coming into the room, especially if I was in a vulnerable position with my feet in the stirrups. All I would be able to think about is Poltergeist.

Alice said...

HAHAHA WHAT THE EFFFFFFFF. I'm with Jess. I have MANY MANY QUESTIONS. Ha.

Amber said...

I have actually heard that laughter does help implantation after transfer! I remember I was watching Ellen the day after my transfer and was nervous that I was hurting our chance of success. I either blogged about it, or posted something in a Facebook group, and their was an overwhelming response that laughter was a good thing. Proved to be right! Both embryos took, resulting in Ayden and Rylee!