Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

3.28.2018

Nighttime potty training

Izzy has been potty trained for basically two years now but we are nowhere close to potty training her at night. Every morning she wakes up with a full pullup and has maybe woken up dry two times ever?

This past week I talked to a neighbor who let me know a while back and she used a sensor on her oldest to wake her up when she was urinating. On Friday night we put the sensor on Izzy and were a bit confused when the sensor never went off during the night and Izzy slept in until 8am (not normal). Izzy peed at least once during the night in her bed and woke up wet but apparently slept right through it. The sensor obviously didn't work but apparently getting wet throughout the night also didn't wake Izzy up, so we needed to try something else.

Our neighbor had given us a second sensor that she said she didn't like as much because it wasn't quite as loud, but it had the ability to not only sound a loud alarm, but also vibrate when clipped to the kid's shirt so we tried that Saturday night. Izzy drank less than 8oz of milk at dinner (finishing by 6:45 or so). Izzy tried to go potty before bed but didn't have to pee and was in bed around 8pm (she peed in between dinner and heading upstairs). CP and I settled in to watch a movie in the basement (The Big Sick- which btw was really good) and at 9pm we hear a loud alarm on the monitor. I race up the two flights of stairs and try to wake Izzy up but she is practically dead to the world. I manage to get her into the bathroom but she is so out of it and has already emptied her bladder. I change Izzy and change her sheets, putting on a second set and she goes right back to bed.

CP and I continue watching the movie and watch a little Saturday Night Live before heading up to bed around 10:45. We are just settling into sleep when at 11pm, the sensor goes off again. We rush into Izzy's room and CP has an even harder time getting her up and on the toilet while I strip the bed once again and put on new sheets. She had fully emptied her bladder again before getting to the toilet so back to bed she went.

2:30am rolls around and CP and I are dead asleep ourselves when the sensor goes off again! Damn girl! Once again we have to try to wake her up and essentially carry her to the bathroom where she doesn't do anything on the toilet because she has already emptied her bladder. At this point I have run out of sheets for her so we put her back into bed with a pullup on.

The next morning she wakes up and has NO IDEA that we had to wake her up three times throughout the night. She doesn't remember any of it. But she is pretty excited because her pullup is dry (*shakes head*). I know that I have bragged about Izzy sleeping through a fire alarm going off in our house, but this is somewhat scary.

We decide that we will put another pullup on Sunday night and on Monday I emailed her pediatrician to find out if we should be worried. He replies that for a heavy sleeper, this is normal and that she is simply not ready to use a pullup. If she is still not nighttime trained by age 7 then we need to start talking about what is going on, but otherwise she is just fine. He did add that if she is constipated then she will have a problem nighttime training but I don't think that is a problem for Izzy.

So....we wait and hope that her body figures out the nighttime thing sometime in the next 2.5 years.... Since Wes is a fantastic sleeper and has put himself to sleep while a fire alarm has GONE OFF in his room and throughout the house, I feel like we are going to have the same problem with him. However, I would much rather take a good sleeper that takes longer to nighttime potty train than one that wakes me up all of the time or has trouble sleeping in general. 



BTW, thank goodness for Good Nites bed pads. We put them between the sheets and Izzy's mattress cover and they helped to keep the mattress cover dry!

10 comments:

Endo_Life said...

My daughter will be 5 in August. She is nowhere near dry at night. Using Goo.gle I found out that it there is a hormone that develops so no amount of training will help if the body isn't producing the hormone. It will happen in time so I am just letting her be. Wearing a pull up at night doesn't bother her so all is good. Good luck with Izzy x

torthĂșil said...

Crazy! I had no idea it was possible to sleep through pee and an alarm. I guess they are ready when they are ready?? I never attempted to night train AJ (because I was lazy, basically). She just refused to wear a pull-up one night and that was that. Interesting that it’s controlled with a hormone.

Gemini.Apache said...

I know of quite a few kids who were around five still using pull ups at night. I think her heavy sleeping is a good thing!

Rachael said...

Same. My kid goes into REM and doesnt wake.

jAllen said...

I’m going to try to night time train Kate this summer. I’ve heard of doing a dream pee, you hold your kid over a potty and make Psss ing sounds without waking them. I;ve tried taking Kate when she wakes up, but sometimes she is so sleepy and once she almost face planted off the toilet,

Kate said...

this was totally me as a child!! I slept SO SOUNDLY and wet the bed until probably 6 or 7, at which - at THAT age my parents tried that sensor and my mom claims I stopped wetting the bed within a few nights! lol
just stick with pull-ups for now =)

Cristy said...

I think this is a great example of how kids are different. I know you had zero problems with potty training, like we had with She-Beat, but He-Beat took a lot longer. That said, the kid was night trained a week after he was fully day trained and both Beats have been fully potty trained for over 1.5 years.

What I’ve learned is that every child is on their own schedules. As long as they are within the normal range, I wouldn’t push it.

Turia said...

I have heard that night time dryness is a developmental/biological readiness thing and no amount of parental involvement can change that. E actually night trained before he was ready to day train so it was super easy for us. But some of his friends still needed pull ups until they were six. If she is happy wearing the pull up and it's not leaking and she's sleeping well I wouldn't change a thing!

Risa Kerslake said...

I have two sets of sheets for Olivia and now I'm realizing this isn't going to be enough. I have heard the same as Turia. Ugh, I feel like if it were me, I would keep her in the pull up until she starts waking up dry. Just for the amount of precious sleep you're losing. Sounds reassuring with the pediatrician though.

Amber said...

I have an 8 year old niece that still needs to be woken up to go potty at night. All kids are just different and she will get there. Night time potty training is still a work in progress for us with Ayden as well. He did so good for 3 months with no accidents, but now is back to sleeping straight through even when he does pee the bed! For future reference for down the road when you do tackle night time training again, I double up the bedsheets so it's a really easy clean up for middle of the night bed wetting. We have the mattress protecter on the bottom, then a pee pad thingy, with a fitted sheet over that. Then I put another pee pad down, and another fitted sheet on top of that. So when he pees the bed, I just pull the top sheet and pee pad, and the bed is already made with another pee pad and sheet ready to go. No having to make the bed in the middle of the night! It works great.