Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

2.25.2009

Could I really do it?

Don’t you love those days where you feel like you can work out forever? I had one of those days last week when I had been running for 5 miles at a 10:30/ mile pace (yes it is slow- don’t judge!) and I seriously felt like I could run all day. Maybe it was because I took two days off from the gym and my legs were fresh. It certainly wasn’t due to the garlic bread pretzels I ate in the car on the way to the gym (how am I losing weight again?).

I was so excited that I emailed my best friend/ maid of honor J, asking her if she thought I could run a half-marathon by the time I leave DC in July. I mean, what a way to lose weight right? J is a marathon runner. She is much faster than I am. However, if we were able to train together while I am down in DC we would be able to spend more time together and she could motivate me. She also knows what kind of program I would need to be on in order to complete a half marathon. I don’t even know how to go about training for one. But it was sure nice burning 800+ calories on my five mile run. Just imagine how many calories I would burn running 13.1 miles! Who knows if this is even possible??

Would I even have the time to really train for this? I do want to see friends while I am down in DC and CP and I have said that we are going to try to see each other every two weeks. I will be down in DC for a total of 13 weekends. Probably 5 or 6 of those weekends CP and I will get together. At least one weekend will be spent with my parents in NH as they want to meet CP’s parents before the wedding. One weekend will be spent at my bridal shower in VA (well, I guess that is just one day and I could do a long run the other day). *sigh*

Have any of you run a half marathon before? Did you want to kill yourself afterwards? How did you train for it? Where did you get your training program from? Any and all advice is appreciated!

1 comment:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I have completed 5 marathons and probably just as many half marathons. This year, I decided to train for another half marathon (and just finished week 7 of training). If you can run 5 miles now, you can do a half marathon by the summer (in fact, you can also do a whole marathon if you set your mind to it). Generally, training programs involve a few shorter runs and cross training during the week and your longer training run over the weekend. If you're running at a 10:30 pace, some of your longer runs could take upwards of two hours. Think about your weekends with CP and your parents and whether you want to give up that time with them. It's not all that much (since you can start when you walk out your front door), but it is a commitment. If you decide to go for it, I have plenty more advice and resources for you (should you want it). Good luck!