Why do I care what other people think about me so much? All of us do it, but I think that sometimes I take it to an extreme.
For example, I want people to know that I am not losing weight because I am the typical bride-to-be and want to look fantastic on my wedding day. OF COURSE I want to look fantastic on my wedding day, but my weight loss is not for the wedding. Also, I want people to know that my weight loss has nothing to do with a New Years resolution. Before law school I was in great shape- working out by playing volleyball, flag football, soccer, etc. while running two to three times a week when living in Chicago. Despite my love of Miller Lite beer and such delicacies as wings, I was healthy and happy with my body. I knew that I was never going to be a stick figure, but was okay with the curvy, athletic body I had.
Then came law school. The lack of a schedule killed me. I didn’t work out enough and I ate because I was stressed. Three years of crappy eating while CP was on the road and not working out enough pushed me at least 30 pounds heavier than when I entered law school. This summer I vowed that while studying for the bar I would allow one hour of working out a day to keep me sane. That went well until two weeks before the bar. After the bar was over, I vowed that I wanted to look better for my 30th birthday. Well, that milestone came and went with me working on a regular basis, but not having lost any weight.
Why does it matter to me that people know that I have been struggling for this for a while instead of wanting to lose weight for my wedding and/or a New Years resolution? I have no idea.
Maybe it is because I intend to not only lose the extra weight before my wedding but also keep it off. I want to be a healthy mother when CP and I start having kids. I want to go off my stomach medicine for my acid reflux. I firmly believe that my weight gain in law school, coupled with the stress brought on my painful and annoying stomach condition. Hopefully losing the weight will allow me to stop taking the pills.
Maybe I should stop worrying about why other people think I am trying to lose this weight and focus on sticking to healthy eating and working out…..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a non sequitur note, someone typed the phrase "chicas in heat" and ended up on my site. Somehow, I don't think that they found what they were looking for!
3 comments:
You know why you care what other people think? Because people are generally unfairly judgmental of others. It's not hard to feel their discerning eye or their loaded questions. People want to think less of you so they can think more of themselves. Twisted? Most definitely. But, maybe if you remind yourself that the world around you should look within instead of at you, you'll feel better that you are on a very commendable quest towards better health.
It is hard not to think like that but most people do not even think like that but there are a few and that few should not be the majority of your worry.
what you are doing is taking care of yourself and that is all that matters. The fact that you will look amazing on your wedding day is just the icing on the cake.
You should be flattered when people think that!!!
It's projection. Really, they're revealing that THEY wouldn't bother trying to be fit/lose weight unless they had some superficial (um... temporary) reason to do so.
It's a relection of them dear, not you.
Good for you, by the way!
Post a Comment