I started out by getting a banana shake which was not as thick as a milkshake, but refreshing and light. The restaurant also brought us hot horchata which I had never had before. It's a drink that has rice in it and it's sweet and delicious.
![]() |
| Horchata picture from here (link includes recipe) |
When CP first described papusas they sounded like empanadas which I LOVED when I lived in Argentina, but when I tasted them they are more like quesadillas. Except instead of tortillas on the outside, the "dough" is masa harina (what is used in tamales). My papusa was a vegetarian which CP promised would have a lot of cheese (right now I'm really big on cheese), along with zucchini in it. He got one with Guatemalan flowers in it and then one with chicharrones (aka fried pork belly). Papusas usually come with what looks like a coleslaw mix to put on top.
![]() |
| Picture from here |
I had to take some of my meal home because the shake, chips and salsa and the horchata drink filled me up before my meal even arrived! The best part was the meal was so inexpensive!!
I can definitely see CP and I trying to make papusas in the near future. If you want an easy recipe I found one here. As with empanadas and tamales, you could easily put whatever you want inside the dough!
Have you tried some new foods recently?


6 comments:
That looks SO delicious! I don't think we have any Guatemalan restaurants around here, unfortunately. I'll have to look one up the next time I'm in a bigger city. And I absolutely looove horchata!
I love papusas. They are actually from El Salvador but since the two are so close papusas have been adopted by Guatemalans. We have a papusa place near us and we eat there all the time. So good and so cheap. It's good to see others enjoying them too!
that looks awesome! Not really a new food, but I've never been a big fan of eggplant, I had some grilled eggplant the other night -delicious!
I love pupusas! I work near a bunch of El Salvadorean restaurants and I always think i should stop on my way home from work to grab some pupusas. Hmmm maybe this week. And I am totally with you on craving cheese recently. Yum.
I've never had papusas, but they look and sound yummy! I'll have to see if we have anyplace around here like that!
Oh fun! I've been a food funk lately, pretty much making the same thing over and over again. But the thing is, tacos are good and I just can't quit them so I make them every single week.
Post a Comment