Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

12.28.2015

Microblog Mondays: Exhaustion



The past few days I have been dead tired. A combination of holiday excitement + getting sick (two days before Christmas Izzy sneezed in my mouth and I caught whatever was going around the 2-year- old room at her daycare) + first trimester pregnancy fatigue + houseguests= complete exhaustion.

How do SAHM take care of their toddlers while pregnant? I try to remind myself that there are women that have been doing this for centuries and that I'm sure compared to most people I have it easy. But wow. If we didn't have houseguests (CP's sister and family) I would be able to take my early afternoon nap and be fine but so far it hasn't happened.

I was actually looking forward to coming to work today because maybe I could nap on the train ride home so that I am not so cranky tonight. Last night was simply bad and I felt like an awful mother. I had Izzy most of the day (everyone went to see Star Wars and then later a brew pub) and didn't get a chance to nap so I was exhausted. It was my night to put Izzy to bed, despite telling CP that I was exhausted, and she just wouldn't behave (knocking things off the bathroom counter, running away from me when I tried to put pajamas on her, etc.). I was not the patient mother I usually can be with her, recognizing that those things are not a big deal and instead snapped at her a few times. When I am that tired I simply can't remember to just take a deep breath. Thankfully Izzy didn't even realize that I was snapping at her, but I need to do better, despite being tired.

I don't remember being this bone tired during my pregnancy with Izzy but I think that the main factor is I could literally sit my butt on the couch and do nothing if I was tired; I didn't have a toddler to run after. Hopefully the fatigue lifts soon as CP is starting to travel again next month and I won't have his help for at least two weeks out of the month.



Want to read more Microblog Mondays? Go here.

10 comments:

Cristy said...

There's something going around because Grey and I have been bone tired too. But your situation is definitely harder with houseguests and pregnancy.

My suggestion is to nap when Izzy naps. No excuses. And CP needs to step it up with helping you. Even if it's "not his night."

Alice said...

Both times I've been pregnant now I wonder in open-mouthed awe how women get through the 1st trimester while also having a toddler. I am about to crash face first into my keyboard here at work, and all I have to do is sit here. If I were chasing a kid around I... I mean, I don't even know. It sounds physically impossible.

Jess said...

Oh, I remember this feeling so well. Both my pregnancies were physically very easy (Annika's was actually even a bit easier than Callum's) but holy crap the toddler element cannot be discounted. The fatigue is LEGIT and so are the feelings of GET AWAY LEAVE ME ALONE GET OFF GET OFF. I basically spent the entire second half of my pregnancy with Annika sitting on the couch like a lump, snapping at anyone (like, oh, I don't know, my two-year-old) who tried to touch me, and texting my friends about how I should go to therapy because I was such a horrible asshole and I could SEE that I was a horrible asshole but I was helpless to actually FIX the assholery. Except, giving birth fixed it. It IS temporary. Cut yourself some slack!

Libby said...

The first trimester was rough this time around. Between nausea and being exhausted, I felt like a horrible mom to Preston.I felt like I relied way to heavily on letting him watch movies/tv shows, but I just had to keep reminding myself 'this too shall pass.'

Charlotte said...

Pregnant with a toddler is insanely difficult! It just is, especially with younger toddlers who need you for every single thing. Don't be so hard on yourself! We have all had moments (entire days even!) where we are not the moms we want to be. At least Izzy didn't notice you snapping. It is heartbreaking when your toddler realizes that you have and starts to cry. (UGH!) Take each moment as it comes. That bone crushing fatigue doesn't last, as you know. Sometimes even 10 minutes of a power nap helped me tremendously if I could find the time. Sometimes I would give in to the messy craft, indulgent treat, or rare cartoon just to get a few minutes to regroup. I even once took a drive around the block with the portable DVDs player and sat in my driveway for 15 minutes power-napping it up, knowing he was strapped in and unable to hurt himself or anything else! Hugs to you!!

Jess said...

Sheesh, the holidays are exhausting enough without adding in pregnancy fatigue AND having no "time off." My best friend is a SAHM of three, and I always wondered how she made it through when she was sick or just plain exhausted, because there was always someone who needed her. I agree with Cristy that you should nap when she naps -- while there's just one napper take advantage of that piece. People say that you should do this even though there might be guilt that you could accomplish something during that quiet space...but the best thing to accomplish is rest (from what I hear). And I also agree that CP should kick in more help, for sure. I hope that this passes the further you get into the pregnancy. I'm thinking of you!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

You're growing a human -- you're definitely going to be tired even if you don't remember it from the first time around. Maybe include Izzy in that conversation in a quiet moment. Like take her out for a treat and talk about how you're so sleepy and ask for her help in getting more rest. It may make her feel so grown up to be your helper that she'll join you in calming down during those moments when you need some downtime.

Anonymous said...

Please ask for what you want and then go lay down. You're not superwoman. You're allowed to be tired.

Amber said...

I remember that exhaustion well! I couldn't keep my eyes open in the afternoon at all and was so thankful I was able to lay down and take a nap most days, only I did t have a toddler I was chasing around! Throw in morning sickness on top of that and I don't know how any woman does it with toddlers!! But you are right in that many others have done it and all survived. You will too! Hopefully things are much calmer now that the holidays are over and your house guests are gone.

JustHeather said...

I was definitely more tired and exhausted the second time around. I do think it is because you can't just lay around and do nothing if you feel like it. You have a toddler to chase! Cut yourself some slack if you can, I know I tried to and actually managed some times. :)