Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

1.04.2016

Microblog Mondays: Jinx


I'm not sure why our culture is fixated on the concept of jinxes. I myself don't really believe in fate, but still worry that I am going to jinx myself at times.

This weekend it was worrying about jinxing the pregnancy. CP and I were putting away Christmas decorations in the attic and because we don't go up there too often, I asked him to  bring down my bag full of maternity clothes and the Snoogle. I'm not ready to start wearing maternity clothes just yet but figured that I should at least start to wash them. As I put my first load in, I wondered if I should wait until after my next appointment. I also felt nervous spilling the news to CP's mom, dad, and my sister (my parents already knew) this weekend. Would I jinx the pregnancy by seeming too hopeful about the future? I mean, I'm still in the first trimester, the blood test screening isn't until next week, and I still have other milestones to hit like the 20 week ultrasound and viability.

But something in me wants to believe that this is real and that this pregnancy is going to go the distance. For now, I hold onto that thought and try to push out the other negative thoughts.


Want to read more Microblog Mondays or participate? Go here. 

13 comments:

Lavonne @ the OCD infertile said...

I have always been a little torn on whether or not I believe in jinx. As a Christian woman I believe that God knows our path, but there is that part of me that wonders if the universe has "triggers" of some sort that change our path. Maybe not things like telling our loved ones we are expecting the day of the embryo transfer (lol seems like something I would do), or washing maternity clothes, but decisions and/or choices we make in our journey. I guess that's the beautiful mystery of life. :)

Charlotte said...

I know the feeling. I ant help it, but I ALWAYS think I am going to jinx myself, as if speaking something with make it come to fruition or not doing or doing something will have an effect on something else. I am not sure where this comes from, either. But the older I get, the worse it seems to get.

Just T said...

You got this :)

internetg33k said...

I'm a big fan of holding on to positive thoughts and pushing away the negative! And I say that even though I felt the same way about telling people each time I got pregnant - however, since my hubby was on the phone (in the days before social media) before the pee was dry on the stick, I didn't have much time to think about it. Scary as it is sometimes, I think hope is always a good thing.

That pillow looks amazing! I wish I'd known about it (if it existed) back when I had my three c-secs. Happy laundry washing! :D

Cristy said...

Echoing all the above. Just keep taking it day by day. After all, though it's completely normal to assume that you could somehow cause things to go one way or the other, the reality is that all of it is out of your hands. So wash those clothes (because I guarantee you don't want to be on a ladder in a few months from now) and prepare the best you can. And hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Growing up, we had a black cat named Jinx and he was increidbly lucky. ;} Also, I want a snoogle now.

Lacey Bean said...

I'm definitely a "jinx" person. Whether I actually believe it fully... not sure, but I'm totally one of the people who don't want to jinx things.

Fingers crossed for you!!!!!!!!

Aramis said...

Where's the "like" button on this thing?

Isabelle said...

Good job for washing the clothes. That's a great first step.

Emilie said...

I think I only feel like I jinx myself if something bad does happen, then I think back and wonder why I went and jinxed myself. If nothing comes of it, it doesn't even cross my mind. Weird. Maybe try focusing on something you CAN control?

Jess said...

I totally had this fear too. With Annika, I started getting terrible morning sickness at six weeks, and I knew if I got my lap-band emptied it would go away, but I refused to do it until after the viability ultrasound at seven weeks, and even then I still felt like I was tempting fate.

Jess said...

I have always been really rigid about jinxing and superstitions and everything like that, until I realized that if I have the power to mess up something in life, then I would ostensibly have the power to Make Things Happen, and since I didn't seem to actually be able to target that ability, jinxes really don't exist. I don't believe that you doing laundry with stretchy pants will jinx, but I totally get how you feel that it might. I worried about laundering all our baby clothes, wondering if they'd just sit, but my baby call date isn't going to change based on the washing machine. (Logically speaking.) I hope every day you feel more and more secure in this beautiful pregnancy of yours, that with each milestone the fear recedes.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I often think like that, though my rational brain knows that isn't the way the world works. Right now, you're pregnant. That is all you know. So you wash the clothes and prep them because as of this moment you are pregnant and you're going to need them soon.