Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

1.27.2016

13 week ultrasound

During my last doctor's appointment at a little over 11 weeks she offered up an ultrasound between monthly appointments. I jumped on it to make sure that everything was going okay right around the end of the first trimester. That ultrasound was yesterday.

Monday afternoon me, CP, and a couple of law school friends received an email from our friends in Denver. They were pregnant again and due in early August with a second girl (their first girl is only two months older than Izzy). CP emailed and asked why we couldn't respond with our good news as well...I asked him to humor me and wait until after the ultrasound juuuust to make sure things are okay. He didn't really understand my trepidation but complied with my request. 

That night we decided that I would ask for the gender results from the blood test when I went into the office and if things were okay with the ultrasound, CP could email friends the good news (I still want to wait for the Facebook announcement). (Sorry Jane I know that you were excited that we weren't finding out again!) I was fine with not finding out again, but our reasons for not finding out last time were partially because IVF made everything not a surprise. This time this pregnancy WAS a surprise and getting Izzy used to being an older sibling might help if we knew the sex of the baby. That night I as I tried to fall asleep, I may have started to feel some baby fluttering...or it was gas....but I think it was fluttering.

The tech came back to get me and then asked why I was having an ultrasound. I said it was for reassurance and to make sure everything was going okay as well as placenta placement. "Oh did you have a problem with your placenta before?" I replied no, but last time it was anterior and hard to feel the baby kicking until later on in the pregnancy. I think that she thought I was a little crazy, but I didn't care. Then she explained that two high school students were going to be in the room for an internship. High school students? "They are very mature." Uh huh. I wasn't given an option to say no which was weird (CP sarcastically commented later that he was sure that they were well-versed in HIPAA regulations). Thank goodness I was far enough along for an abdominal ultrasound as well....

The baby easily came up and looked more like a baby instead of blob with arm buds. Good start. The tech saw the four chambers of the heart, checked the heart rate (152), and said that the brain, stomach, arms, legs, etc. were all looking good. Even better news is that the placenta is posterior this time and not near my cervix so maybe I wasn't crazy the night before in feeling fluttering. YAY! The tech asked if we were finding out the gender and I said, actually, we made the decision the night before to find out. She said "oh good because this is really obvious." And there it was- a penis! 

We are having a boy!!! 

The tech laughed and said, "well, we generally don't do gender this early but your boy is quite the show-off and overachiever." Ha ha.

As soon as I called CP with the news, he fired off an email to his family- "Hot off the press... the parasite has a third leg!" Family members were less confused this time around than about the pregnancy email. 

So, in other news I can't believe that I am having a boy! I mean logically that's what I thought it would be because supposedly boy sperm are the first sperm to get to the egg and because we had sex the day that I think that I ovulated it would make sense that the boy sperm fertilized the egg. But now I have to wrap my head around changing a baby with a penis. And all of the gross things that little boys do. Maybe the fact that Izzy is older will temper the boy a bit? LOL.

So, pregnant at the same time with a good friend (again), rocking a posterior placenta, AND having a boy. Big news all around.

23 comments:

Lya said...

Such great news all around!!! Congrats on having a boy and heading into your second trimester. Your surprise natural pregnancy still makes me smile from ear to ear :-)))

Endo_Life said...

I am so glad all is going well. Congrats on your boy mine is 12 weeks old today and getting used to the nappy changes after a girl is taking time lol.

Cristy said...

And all worth celebrating. Congratulations!!!!

Aramis said...

Congratulations! While I haven't personally changed a girl's diaper, I can only imagine the havoc all those nooks and crannies must cause when there's a particularly nasty one. Trust me that the penis usually makes things much simpler. Except for the little stiffies and occasional pees in the face, that is. Welcome to the boy club!!

Charlotte said...

Woohoo! Congratulations on all the big, wonderful news! So happy for you!

Lacey Bean said...

YAYYYY!!! So exciting and I'm so glad everything was ok during the ultrasound!

Marianne said...

Woohoo!!!!!!!

So I have twin boys now after having a girl, and I'll say boys are easier diaper wise. Not so much worry about UTIs!

Navigating the Mothership said...

Exciting news! I love love love my little boy something fierce so I know you will have something special to look forward to. And I will echo others - boy diapers are easier :)

Lavonne @ the OCD infertile said...

That's awesome! Congrats!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Boys are great! So glad everything is going well!

Amy Jo said...

Congratulations! He will be the perfect addition to your family

Jess said...

Yay! Congrats!! What awesome news! You will love having a boy, I promise.

Unknown said...

I'm sooo happy for you!! (so weird about the hs students in the room, and no chance to say no, lol). A little boy!!! So wonderful!! I have heard boy diapers are easy, but I did have a friend who said, "I never thought I'd spend my days figuring out how to get poop off of testicles!" ... LOL. So gross, but hilarious, and something a mom can totally relate to!

Feisty Harriet said...

Congrats!!!! This is so exciting!

xox

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad all is well! As a big sister of 3 boys myself, I'm sure Izzy will have fun :)

Gypsy Mama said...

Woowwwww! Big news! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!

Amber said...

Yayyyyy!!! So glad it was such a great appointment! Weird that they didn't ask permission for the students to be in there. There was often a student intern at my RE appointments because it was a teaching hospital, but they ALWAYS asked if it was okay! Having boy/girl twins, I can attest to boys being easier to do diaper changes with. Although I do agree with Aramis about the stiffies being weird. It's kind of unnerving to change your baby boy with a hard on. And as another commenter said, sometimes it's a challenge to get poop off the testicles, but otherwise it IS easier! Lol!

Amber said...

Oh, and your husband cracks me up about his reference to the parasite!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh! So exciting!!!

Kate said...

:) glad that everything is healthy with baby BOY!! I remember being weirded out about changing diapers around a penis, too loL but boys are so much fun!

KelBel said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Very exciting. :)

Jess said...

Congratulations! That's awesome that it all went well, and you were able to see more baby than blob, and that baby is a BOY! I would be irritated about the HS students myself, but I'm glad it all went well and it was NOT a wand ultrasound. Awkward. :) Congrats on the flood of good news, I am so excited for you and your family!

Alice said...

A BOY!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D