Motto
“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox
3.21.2016
Microblog Mondays: First Day
Today is my first day at my new position. I don't have much information on what I will actually be doing or how much things will change around here, but I think I am going to get a whole lot busier! At some point my boss and I will have to sit down to have that conversation about what I am taking over (more than just taking over supervision of 7 employees from him), but I think it will take a while to sort everything out.
I am less worried about the actual work than I am of being a good manager. The 7 employees that I now have to manage were all co-workers just last week and all of them except for one are older than me. How are my relationships with them going to change? I want to make sure that I am a good and effective manager but have no training to help me learn the ropes.
Here goes nothing!
Want to read more Microblog Mondays? Go here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Good luck! I'm sure you will do great!!
I think that just wanting to be an effective manager is half the battle - I'm sure everything will fall into place for you in short order. Best of luck!
Congratulations on your new position. I hope the transition from coworker to supervisor goes well.
Congrats on your first day in your new position! It's scary to shift roles, but I agree with Traci. The fact that you are mindful about being a good manager and the shifting relationships will go a long way. Will they give you a mentor of sorts? Is there someone you can seek out who received a similar promotion at some point that would be willing to help you navigate this? Best of luck to you!
Congratulations and sending deep breaths. Remember, people actually like it when they're dealing with someone they know vs. a complete stranger. So you have that going for you, too.
Congrats, and best of luck. I'd ask for some management training too, first up! Even if just to give you some confidence.
The thing I've found most useful is to figure out what you liked about the best managers you have had in the past, then see if that works for you.
Also, if you know these co-workers (we'd call them colleagues here), then you know what their strong points are, and you know what to look out for too. So you're way ahead already!
Congrats!! I have zero helpful advice or suggestions, but I do think asking for some management training (either through HR or an outside source) would be a good idea for all parties involved. Hang in there!!!
xox
Congrats and good luck! I was shifted from coworker to manager of two of my friends (!!) at my last job, which was kind of awkward. I only ended up in the position for about a month before I left anyway, so helpfully I have no advice.. just an "I feel you" on the potential weirdness :)
Post a Comment