I seriously need to get CP into a sleep study or maybe into a doctor that can prescribe a treatment for snoring. He just laughs and says that I should be able to sleep through his snoring, but most of the time he falls asleep first and his snoring is so loud that I can't fall asleep. A perfect example was last night- we both went to bed at the same time. He fell right asleep (how can men do that?) and started heavily snoring. Sometimes my go-to trick to stop him from snoring is to have him roll on his side but he was already there. I lay in bed getting angrier and angrier because I was so tired (which of course doesn't help me fall asleep)....so after a few minutes I headed downstairs to sleep on the couch. Wes woke me up at 1am (grrr) and I tried to go back into bed at 1:30 but once again, CP was snoring so I went back downstairs. It certainly didn't help that Wes woke me up AGAIN at 4am to eat (grrrr); I was able to get into bed around 4:20 and juuuuust fall asleep before my alarm woke me up at 5am.
This is not ideal. We have a comfortable couch but it is certainly not as comfortable as a bed. Not to mention that it would be nice to, you know, sleep next to my husband when he is actually here. Anyone know how you get your partner into a sleep study? Or have you worked with a doctor on a treatment such as a mouthguard that made a difference? I know that his snoring would lessen if he lost some weight but trying to figure out how to broach that subject without hurting any feelings would be tough.
Signed,
Someone who is seriously cranky from lack of sleep
Want to read more Microblog Mondays? Go here.

10 comments:
I feel you on this. We have a similar problem and I've been asking my husband to do a sleep study for a long time, not just because his snoring disrupts my sleep, but because I believe it disrupts his sleep as well. But of course he never does it, he just keeps complaining that he's tired all the time, even though he gets way more sleep than I do.
my now ex-husband was also a loud snorer. sleep apnea is where you can hear the person stop breathing between exhale/inhale. long story short, we called our general doctor and asked them for a referral to a sleep study clinic that insurance would cover. long story short, the results were that he had a severe case of sleep apnea, where for every 1 minute of sleep, for 30 seconds of it, he wasn't breathing. it made sense for how exhausted he was, no matter how much sleep he got (and I wasn't sleeping great either, worrying about why he wasn't breathing normally). they immediately prescribed CPAP machine and it worked wonders for him. he also lost weight, which helped, but he still found that he got better sleep with the CPAP machine. hopefully you (and he) can get great sleep soon.
No help here but I hope you get this fixed soon. My mom snores awfully and when I stay at her house and it is so hard to listen to. Call your dr. and maybe they can help get him into a study!
Ugh, I feel your pain. Pete snores horribly too. I always kick or push him onto his side. Lately I've made him go into another room because our bed is the only comfortable place I can sleep and I'm pregnant so I win. Is he open to the idea of a sleep study? Sleep apnea can be really dangerous if left untreated!
Oh nooooo. I hope CP finds a solution for the snoring and you can get some sleep...I have no advice or experience here but I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to be kept awake by snoring and then need to get up to take care of Wes, too...double whammy. I hope you get relief soon!
Try Breathe Right nasal strips?
Have him fill out the Epworth Sleepiness Scale - a quick screen for sleep apnea, which is a serious medical condition - all kinds of health risks if left untreated. If he scores high enough on the ESS, it's a no-brainer for his doctor to refer him for a sleep study. (FYI excess weight can contribute to sleep apnea, but this condition may also occur in very thin people.)
Lillian- we tried Breathe Right strips and they didn't work. :-(
Oh how I can relate to this post! My husband snores a lot too. He actually did do a sleep study a few years back. You know what they told him? He was fine, but maybe it's your wife that has a problem. Yeah. I was soooo pissed, especially when we ended up having to pay something in the neighborhood of $500 for that stupid study. I don't think my husband cleared it with insurance first. I was so happy when he took the initiative to get the sleep study done, but was very disappointed with the outcome. Now I don't think I could get him to do it again in a million years. Hopefully you can have better luck than I did. I spend plenty of time on the couch at our house.
I had Jordan go to a sleep study. This was as well as an ENT. I made him discuss it with his GP and then refer him. His snoring and teeth chomping is horrendous. The sleep study said no it's not apnea. If he lost 20 lbs it would be better. That happened and didn't help. The Ear Nose and Throat Dr actually found a sinus blockage and prescribed steriod spray. Which he was supposed to use for a month and return to the ENT for follow up. Well he used it (it helped), refilled the prescription, then just decided he didn't want to anymore and stopped everything. He apparently believes that the ENT was just going to keep him on the steroid for ever! I'm now forcing him to get back in because if the blockage is still there he will probably require surgery and dang nammit I am tired of being the one who loses sleep!!!!
I feel your pain sister!
Post a Comment