Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

6.29.2009

Whip it Up- Week #1

This is the first week of Whip it Up 2009!




This week I decided to try a recipe for Curried Corn Soup! I am obsessed with corn and even though it is hot out these days, I can always eat soup!

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 tsp curry powder
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
4 pieces corn on the cob (about 3 cups)
1/2 pound uncooked red potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 large potatoes)
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup cilantro or scallion, chopped
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/4 cup tomato, diced

NOTES: I added about two cups of cooked chicken to the recipe for some protein. I also decided to use scallions, instead of cilantro.


Instructions:
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion; cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and cook 30 seconds until fragrant.

Add broth, corn, potatoes, lemon juice and salt to saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes; remove from heat.

In a blender, food processor or using an immersion blender, puree mixture (in batches if necessary), until smooth. Strain soup through a fine mesh sieve into a large serving bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids.

To serve, stir cilantro or scallions into soup. Top each serving with 2 teaspoons each of yogurt and tomato. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro or scallions, if desired. Serve hot or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.

NOTES: Since I am still in DC, I don't have access to a blender, food processor or an immersion blender. No biggie! When the 20 minutes of simmering was up, I put the scallions in, topped it off with yogurt and served!






Difficulty Level: Easy

Taste: This wasn't an amazing soup, but it tasted good enough. Plus it is really low in calories and fat!! To add more flavor I would use some of CP's chicken stock as opposed to canned chicken broth, I would add a bit more salt, and probably a bit more curry. However, it was a filling soup that I enjoyed eating!

Would I make it again: If I was the only person eating it, then yes. I don't think that CP would find this dish exciting enough though. :-)

No comments: