Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.30.2009

To drink or not to drink?

So CP and I currently have friends of ours who are expecting their second baby next month. As with their first baby (born a scant year ago- that’s right- they move FAST), the wife is not allowing her husband to drink while she is pregnant.



I personally feel that is unfair. Men are lucky in that they don’t have to carry around a baby for 9 months, deal with the kicking, the hernias, and whatever else comes with having a baby. However, they are not built to house a baby. So while it might not be fun to be the designated driver for 9 months for the future mother, guess who gets to be the sober driver once the baby is born (as long as you are done breast feeding for the night)??


I have already told CP that the only time I will forbid him to drink is when it is getting close to my due date. You know, because he will be the one to have to drive me to the hospital and all. :-)


Will you forbid your husband to drink while you are pregnant?

6 comments:

Amy Jo said...

I'm pretty sure if I ever get pregnant, my husband will HAVE to drink just to put up with me...LOL

Jess said...

Um... no. Why would you do that? The guy already has to do so much while you're pregnant to support you and do things that you would normally do. Unless you have a serious drinking problem and will hit your husband over the head and steal his beer if you seem him drinking one, this seems excessive.

Lacey Bean said...

No I think that's unfair. Why punish your husband because you can't do it?

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

There are far too women out there who think it's their right to control their husbands. It's bitchy and very unbecoming. Unless a woman is a high-risk pregnancy (and might need to be at the hospital at any given time) or, like you said, is about to pop, let the guy have a few drinks. Plus, it really should be his decision not to drink. And if she can't rely on him to make that grown-up decision, she should probably find another way to the ER.

Fannie said...

Wow, I had never heard of that before. That's is such a silly idea. My my .. that woman's kind of bossy to say the least.

EP said...

I've never really thought about this before, as having a baby is one of the farthest things from my mind right now. I don't think it's necessarily fair to ban your husband from drinking, but I might get pissy if my husband was out drinking a lot.