Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

5.21.2010

My secret

So I have this secret that I can’t tell anyone….this is, except for you guys because this blog is anonymous!

CP and did some talking and I will not be picking up my usual birth control pills tonight. {commence freak out} I have been on birth control since sophomore year in college (wow)- as in 13 YEARS AGO. Who knows what my cycle is going to look like? I have also started to take a prenatal vitamin every morning.

Knowing that at our age it could take 6-10 months to get pregnant, we are going to be careful for the next month (my doctor recommended one month off birth control before starting to try to conceive because there is a higher risk of miscarriage- I think she said something about the uterine lining not being thick enough?). And then we are going to do the weird thing of actually TRYING to get pregnant. After so many years of taking birth control in order for that NOT to happen, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around getting excited (possibly in the near future) of my period not showing up. Don’t get me wrong, I will be excited (and scared, etc), but it’s going to be weird.

CP and I have decided NOT to tell friends and family that I am no longer taking birth control pills and that we will be “trying” next month. We both think that it then puts pressure on the couple when people know. So after a few months of not getting pregnant, “How’s it going?” or other similar questions won’t be helpful to us. Thus, I can’t tell anyone. It’s hard, but I think that our reasoning is sound. I’m still worried (despite the lack of medical issues on both sides) that we are going to have a problem conceiving so it’s better to keep this quiet.

I can only imagine when we do get pregnant how hard it is going to be to keep it quiet (not from parents and siblings) until the three month mark!!

8 comments:

Stevie said...

Big news! How exciting for you guys! Thanks for sharing the news with your internet peeps :-)

Christina said...

Wow congrats and have fun practicing!

Jess said...

Yay! So exciting! Congratulations! How fun and what a big step!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

What a great decision the two of you made together. To this day, I continue to be vague and a bit trite when people ask me about our plans for a family. Personally, I don't think it's any of their business - they should be happy we have a good marriage and should respect any decision we make (whether it's to have a family or not and the timing if we do). Being vague is pretty easy and a lot of people have stopped asking me my plans as a result.

Fannie said...

Oh WoW ! This is huge !! Congrats :)

I think you're SO right in deciding not to tell your friends & family .. so many people are really not sensitive about this issue (or mean well) and keep asking how it's going or giving you pity looks.. so I'm sure it'll be much better this way for you two :)

Have fun now !!!

justme said...

yay! i think it's fantastic that this is your little "secret"...even if we all know. i agree with the pressure of it all...good to not put that on yourselves.

Amy Jo said...

Yay...this is such exciting news! I feel so special knowing your "secret"!! Good luck and have fun :)

Breathe Gently said...

That IS exciting! I hope you enjoy this time, as strange as it's going to be for a little while.