Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

5.19.2010

What a find!

This past weekend CP and I went with my Mother-in-Law and her friend to the largest antiques festival in the country, the Brimfield Antique Show. It is a huge event and because we kept hearing about it (my parents in Chicago even knew about it!), we decided to check it out. Although CP and I thought that we would get bored, we were only at the show for a few hours and found a few great things!

The first large tent we went into, a beautiful and interesting dining room table made by KingPin Tables caught our eye.



The wood was made out of reclaimed Hard Rock Maple. When old bowling alleys are scheduled to be torn down, the owners rescue the wood and then use it to make the tables. CP and I got the measurements, talked about it a bit, and then decided to come back a bit later after discussing the purchase. I was worried about the money aspect before CP reminded me that we had wedding money in our savings account stocked away for a future furniture purchase. We had looked at all of the usual suspects- Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, various local furniture stores, but hadn’t found anything that we both loved.

As we walked around the show some more, we continued to discuss the table. Meanwhile, I found a cute necklace made out of topaz. :-)

After continuing to discuss the table, we decided to head back and buy it. Unfortunately, another couple had swooped in and bought the 8’ table that we wanted (bastards!). All they had left was a 7’, a 9’ and a 9’6” table. Without quite knowing the exact dimensions of the “dining room” we have in our current rented house, we decided to go with the 9’ table. It didn’t hurt that the guys were willing to sell it to us for the SAME PRICE as the 8’ table with FREE DELIVERY. Wow.





CP knew that I had also been fawning over the coffee table. (We did need a new one because over a year ago I broke one of the glass pieces while trying to clean it.) Anyway, while I was paying for the dining room table, he bargained the guys down for the coffee table. Ha!



So now we have a gargantuan dining room table AND a gargantuan coffee table. We love both of the pieces. Not only are they eco-friendly because of the reclaimed wood, but they are one of a kind pieces that should last forever. The top of the dining room table alone weighs 300 POUNDS. They will be quite a pain to move, but I think that we got a fantastic deal!! We will also have to think about the dimensions of any place we move to for the rest of our lives, but hopefully we won't have a problem.... AND we were able to write two checks for the pieces and still have some wedding money left! YAY!

8 comments:

Christina said...

Wow, they look amazing. I am sure that you will have them for a long time.

It is a good idea to in vest in some classic furniture pieces because they will fit most decor. And it is something that you can pass on.

justme said...

i LOVE these, they are incredible...who cares if they fit. they look spectacular

Jess said...

That is awesome! Great work! What a cool idea.

Lacey Bean said...

That is SO cool! Definitely a one of a kind piece. Love it!

Stevie said...

I love unique pieces like that. And you guys'll have a great story to tell about it, too! Nice picks.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

There's a company around here that does the same thing with old barns. And they make some amazing tables. Love that you got two pieces that look solid and smart and are things you're proud to show off!

Roxy said...

haha awesome find!

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Thanks guys!

Nilsa- furniture out of old barns sounds cool!