I wasn’t sure how I would feel moving from real books to an e-reader. But CP and I dropped into a Barnes & Noble last month and were able to play around with a store Nook.
The Nook has no back light, which means no strain on my eyes after a long day of looking at my computer/Blackberry/iTouch/etc. That also means that I will have no problems reading it in the sun.
Because the book has already downloaded to the device, there is no lag time when I turn the pages of the book. I haven't used the dictionary, highlighting or other features just yet- my first book was a fast and easy read. :-)
I can also get newspaper or magazine subscriptions on the Nook. I haven't entered my subscriptions into my account just yet, but that will be nice for vacations. Then I'll only have to take my reader with me!
The biggest feature that the Nook has over the Kindle is that I can download books from my local library. I already love reading books for free from the library- now I can just download the e-books straight to my computer (then transfer them onto the Nook)! My library has over 430 e-books right now and will only be adding to that collection. Yay free! Not to mention I don't have to worry about bringing back the books on time= no late fees!
Barnes & Noble also has “free book Friday”- a free download. While I don’t expect any of these books to be on the best seller list, it may be a good way to find new or up-and-coming authors.
Last but not least, I was able to find the cutest case for my Nook from Free Moment on Etsy!

Do you have an e-reader? If not, are you thinking about getting one? Are you worried that you will miss out on the "feel" of books?
Note: B & N did NOT contact me to talk about the Nook.
6 comments:
I loooooooove the nook. I thought I wouldn't like an e-reader, but I think it really does look like a printed page. I'm not sure I'd like the color version because I really like the non-backlit screen. And it's so easy to hold on to, easy to read lying in bed, and no more pile of books around the house collecting dust!
Also awesome -- immediately downloading books. When I started reading the Hunger Games trilogy, I couldn't wait to get the next book. Didn't have to! 2am, just download the next in the series and start reading!
Wilzie got me a Kobo for my birthday, and I also love it! It is so great for travelling. Although I do find that I miss being able to flip back to re-read something
I've been TRYING to avoid one. I love love love physical books, but I really really want one of those. I feel a little bit un-loyal saying that. How do they work though? Do you pay a monthly subscription or anything? Also, I'm one of those weirdos that don't like electronic things next to my body....sigh...I'm sure I'll end up with one anyway...
That library thing is great. I love my Kindle, but since we've gone onto one income I haven't used it much because I get all my books from the library now, and I can't do that on the Kindle. It's still great for traveling, though.
I don't have one, simply because I haven't had time in the last year to read (sob. I've only read like two books this year, which is a travesty of epic proportions). But as soon as things calm down a little it's on my wish list.
Frankly, it's the way that the publishing industry is going anyway...
I adore my kindle, love it. I got it a year an half ago and I have read non-stopy since then. More so then I usually dud . It saved me when I was stuck in NY during the storm.
Post a Comment