First, three quick stories:
I was working from home recently when I heard the doorbell rang. I opened the door to two ladies who asked if I had God in my life. I replied that I did not as I was not religious. They made a face and then asked, “well have you always been that way?” Umm yes.
Freshman year of high school I remember being in science class. Somehow the fact that I was an atheist came up and some guy then told me that I was going to hell. I didn't think that was quite appropriate as I think that I am a good person, despite being a non-believer. He kept saying it to me, over and over, until our teacher had to come over and tell him that I wasn't going to hell simply because I didn't believe in God. Around this time I realized that maybe I should keep my (non)beliefs to myself.
One of my best friend's mothers in high school remarked, "Oh, Non Sequitur Chica is so nice, but I wish that she would join a church."
---------------------------
I'll let someone else help me explain my (non)belief.
A Holiday Message From Ricky Gervais: Why I’m an Atheist
Originally posted on the Wall Street Journal Blogs
Why don’t you believe in God? I get that question all the time. I always try to give a sensitive, reasoned answer. This is usually awkward, time consuming and pointless. People who believe in God don’t need proof of his existence, and they certainly don’t want evidence to the contrary. They are happy with their belief. They even say things like “it’s true to me” and “it’s faith.” I still give my logical answer because I feel that not being honest would be patronizing and impolite. It is ironic therefore that “I don’t believe in God because there is absolutely no scientific evidence for his existence and from what I’ve heard the very definition is a logical impossibility in this known universe,” comes across as both patronizing and impolite.
Arrogance is another accusation. Which seems particularly unfair. Science seeks the truth. And it does not discriminate. For better or worse it finds things out. Science is humble. It knows what it knows and it knows what it doesn’t know. It bases its conclusions and beliefs on hard evidence -- evidence that is constantly updated and upgraded. It doesn’t get offended when new facts come along. It embraces the body of knowledge. It doesn’t hold on to medieval practices because they are tradition. If it did, you wouldn’t get a shot of penicillin, you’d pop a leach down your trousers and pray. Whatever you “believe,” this is not as effective as medicine. Again you can say, “It works for me,” but so do placebos. My point being, I’m saying God doesn’t exist. I’m not saying faith doesn’t exist. I know faith exists. I see it all the time. But believing in something doesn’t make it true. Hoping that something is true doesn’t make it true. The existence of God is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn’t. It’s not a matter of opinion. You can have your own opinions. But you can’t have your own facts.
Why don’t I believe in God? No, no no, why do YOU believe in God? Surely the burden of proof is on the believer. You started all this. If I came up to you and said, “Why don’t you believe I can fly?” You’d say, “Why would I?” I’d reply, “Because it’s a matter of faith.” If I then said, “Prove I can’t fly. Prove I can’t fly see, see, you can’t prove it can you?” You’d probably either walk away, call security or throw me out of the window and shout, ‘’F—ing fly then you lunatic.”
This, is of course a spirituality issue, religion is a different matter. As an atheist, I see nothing “wrong” in believing in a god. I don’t think there is a god, but belief in him does no harm. If it helps you in any way, then that’s fine with me. It’s when belief starts infringing on other people’s rights when it worries me. I would never deny your right to believe in a god. I would just rather you didn’t kill people who believe in a different god, say. Or stone someone to death because your rulebook says their sexuality is immoral. It’s strange that anyone who believes that an all-powerful all-knowing, omniscient power responsible for everything that happens, would also want to judge and punish people for what they are. From what I can gather, pretty much the worst type of person you can be is an atheist. The first four commandments hammer this point home. There is a god, I’m him, no one else is, you’re not as good and don’t forget it. (Don’t murder anyone, doesn’t get a mention till number 6.)
When confronted with anyone who holds my lack of religious faith in such contempt, I say, “It’s the way God made me.”
But what are atheists really being accused of?
The dictionary definition of God is “a supernatural creator and overseer of the universe.” Included in this definition are all deities, goddesses and supernatural beings. Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.
So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,” I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.
I used to believe in God. The Christian one that is.
I loved Jesus. He was my hero. More than pop stars. More than footballers. More than God. God was by definition omnipotent and perfect. Jesus was a man. He had to work at it. He had temptation but defeated sin. He had integrity and courage. But He was my hero because He was kind. And He was kind to everyone. He didn’t bow to peer pressure or tyranny or cruelty. He didn’t care who you were. He loved you. What a guy. I wanted to be just like Him.
One day when I was about 8 years old, I was drawing the crucifixion as part of my Bible studies homework. I loved art too. And nature. I loved how God made all the animals. They were also perfect. Unconditionally beautiful. It was an amazing world.
I lived in a very poor, working-class estate in an urban sprawl called Reading, about 40 miles west of London. My father was a laborer and my mother was a housewife. I was never ashamed of poverty. It was almost noble. Also, everyone I knew was in the same situation, and I had everything I needed. School was free. My clothes were cheap and always clean and ironed. And mum was always cooking. She was cooking the day I was drawing on the cross.
I was sitting at the kitchen table when my brother came home. He was 11 years older than me, so he would have been 19. He was as smart as anyone I knew, but he was too cheeky. He would answer back and get into trouble. I was a good boy. I went to church and believed in God -– what a relief for a working-class mother. You see, growing up where I did, mums didn’t hope as high as their kids growing up to be doctors; they just hoped their kids didn’t go to jail. So bring them up believing in God and they’ll be good and law abiding. It’s a perfect system. Well, nearly. 75 percent of Americans are God-‐fearing Christians; 75 percent of prisoners are God-‐fearing Christians. 10 percent of Americans are atheists; 0.2 percent of prisoners are atheists.
But anyway, there I was happily drawing my hero when my big brother Bob asked, “Why do you believe in God?” Just a simple question. But my mum panicked. “Bob,” she said in a tone that I knew meant, “Shut up.” Why was that a bad thing to ask? If there was a God and my faith was strong it didn’t matter what people said.
Oh…hang on. There is no God. He knows it, and she knows it deep down. It was as simple as that. I started thinking about it and asking more questions, and within an hour, I was an atheist.
Wow. No God. If mum had lied to me about God, had she also lied to me about Santa? Yes, of course, but who cares? The gifts kept coming. And so did the gifts of my new found atheism. The gifts of truth, science, nature. The real beauty of this world. I learned of evolution -– a theory so simple that only England’s greatest genius could have come up with it. Evolution of plants, animals and us –- with imagination, free will, love, humor. I no longer needed a reason for my existence, just a reason to live. And imagination, free will, love, humor, fun, music, sports, beer and pizza are all good enough reasons for living.
But living an honest life -– for that you need the truth. That’s the other thing I learned that day, that the truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity.
So what does the question “Why don’t you believe in God?” really mean. I think when someone asks that they are really questioning their own belief. In a way they are asking “what makes you so special? “How come you weren’t brainwashed with the rest of us?” “How dare you say I’m a fool and I’m not going to heaven, f— you!” Let’s be honest, if one person believed in God he would be considered pretty strange. But because it’s a very popular view it’s accepted. And why is it such a popular view? That’s obvious. It’s an attractive proposition. Believe in me and live forever. Again if it was just a case of spirituality this would be fine.
“Do unto others…” is a good rule of thumb. I live by that. Forgiveness is probably the greatest virtue there is. But that’s exactly what it is -‐ a virtue. Not just a Christian virtue. No one owns being good. I’m good. I just don’t believe I’ll be rewarded for it in heaven. My reward is here and now. It’s knowing that I try to do the right thing. That I lived a good life. And that’s where spirituality really lost its way. When it became a stick to beat people with. “Do this or you’ll burn in hell.”
You won’t burn in hell. But be nice anyway.
----------------------------
My (non)belief doesn't stop me from celebrating Christmas though. It's a time for my family to get together and enjoy some time off from work. I hope you enjoyed your holiday break, no matter what you believe!
Thoughts? Let's aim for a thoughtful and respectful discussion in the comments.
10 comments:
I ussed to go to church all the time, believe it or not. But admittedly, I never felt "it". And the one thing that makes sense to me is science: One day the sun will cease. It's a star like any other. That's unrefutable and Earth will also cease to exist because of the demise of the sun.
So God had better get here before then.
I tend to hide my non-belief. I wish I was one of those people that could stand up and be proud of it and debate and all that, but I live in the Bible Belt and I learned VERY early that it is much easier to just go along with it.
Christmas is always a bit awkward because I've met Christians who feel non-believers shouldn't celebrate the holiday at all, even the secular aspects of it. I think that is kind of crappy. And I hate when people get upset that I abbreviate it "Xmas." That's not meant to be disrespectful or "take Christ out of Christmas" or anything like that, it's a translation from Greek.
Dig it.. I don't give 2 craps if folks believe or not, it's not my business. I DO tend get riled when others push it and think they have the market cornered on truth and goodness...blech
I can't get behind religion because most religious people are so hypocritical. They "love everyone" (except gays, black people, and women depending on the religion). They "practice kindness" (but only if you follow their same beliefs). I could go on and on. I just can't wrap my head around how people can belong to things that are full of hatred, but just ignore those parts because they don't like them.
I agree with funderson though. Fine if you want to believe, but let me not believe. We'll get along just fine if we respect each other.
I grew up in a VERY religious family. There are pastors and Sunday school directors all through my family tree. I was pretty religious as a kid, slightly less so as a teenager, but college and moving to New York basically did in most of my religious-ness. I tend to hide that from my family now, lest we get into rip-roaring fights.
I struggle right now with my thoughts on faith vs. religion--one of them I know exactly where I stand, but the other, well, I'm still a little unsure. I definitely can't say I'm an atheist at the moment, but beyond that? I just don't know.
I'm also an atheist/agnostic and feel that religion is extremely dangerous. Living your life based on something that can't be proven seems incredibly ridiculous to me.
If you're interested in some more reading material, check out Sam Harris. He's amazing. You can also find tons of videos of him speaking and debating all over the internet. He is brilliant and eloquent and is pretty much my hero. Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins are great, too.
I'm of the same (non)belief as you are, and I tend to be fairly vocal about it. I've also tried to celebrate "Christmas" "Solstice" "midwinter" in a way I'm more comfortable with-without mass consumerism. I don't give presents, and I've let everyone close to me know that I won't accept them either. It's a time for beating back the winter blues with a party, full of food and booze and friends and family, not trying to out-do each other in the gift department :)
I'm not a non-believer, but I have friends who are & it's okay. We can have discussions & respect each others beliefs...I don't think I've ever asked someone why they do or don't believe. I just try to listen respectfully if they choose to tell me.
I like to think that is possible on a larger scale to have respectful discourse, but I guess there will always be people who aren't capable of that on any side of any issue.
I don't always get the whole organized religion thing (I'm more of a 'many paths' person), but I have found a church where I feel comfortable. Everyone is friendly & it is a more intellectual environment with lots of discussion and agreeing to disagree. I think you can find that in places other than church, too -- with titles other than religion.
I do get really frustrated when I hear people who claim to be "religious", but don't exemplify what they preach -- Then, I just think they probably aren't content with themselves or their lives, so I just try to show them love & respect.
I also get a little hurt when people try to put me in a box just because I do go to church -- but again that is their opinion. I can only be me. I think that is one of the biggest lessons I'm learning -- As my hubby says, "Just do you."
Great post! Sorry for the book of a comment ;-)
wow, i love that article by ricky gervais, thank you for posting it. i'm an atheist, have always been one, never went to church as a kid or anything, so to me it just seems "normal." it seems far weirder to me that someone would find it odd that i don't believe in god :)
My husband is a (non)believer, and I always told him that it was OK because God believed in him ;)
It certainly didn't make me love him any less.
Some of the most horrible I know, act that way in the name of "God". So the way that I see it, if you are a good person, and treat other people with kindness and respect, then that's what really matters.
Post a Comment