I’m not sure why, but for the past week or so I have had to REALLY push myself to get outside and run. Why did I have such a quick change in attitude? Only two weeks ago I was raring to go. I was excited about signing up for the half marathon training, I felt good after running 7 miles over the weekend, etc. Despite the nicer weather (yesterday it was 60 degrees out!), my motivation has dropped to close to zero.
I’m not sure about the possible cause, but I know that it definitely needs to get turned around. Last weekend’s 5.7 mile run (when I was supposed to run 7 miles) was awful. I had to drag myself out to the reservoir to do the run. Then I took a shortcut because my body was just exhausted. I didn’t go out drinking the night before. I got plenty of sleep. I just didn’t want to do it. Ugh. I hate that my last long run before the race was awful (and that I didn’t do the correct mileage).
Then this past week I have only worked out twice during the week. I am supposed to run twice during the week, with another long run on the weekend. That is the MINIMUM. I should also be walking, cross training or doing some sort of low impact workout on 3 more days. Instead I ran/swam in the pool on Monday for an hour and had to force myself to run last night. My calves felt like lead and super tight during the entire run last night and I only went three miles. I am worried that I am losing precious stamina that I am going to need for my first training run with the half marathon group TOMORROW. Not to mention my 5K on Sunday. And then the actual quarter marathon race on April 2nd.
I don’t even want to think about whether I have lost time too- the half training program says that you have to be running 4 miles at an 11-minute mile pace. I have been averaging a bit slower pace (11:30) on my long runs, but my second loop is always faster (I think that I try to conserve energy in the beginning of the run). So I think that I could speed up if need be. At least last night’s run was at a 10:52 pace despite everything in my lower half being so tight. I stretched a bunch after the run so hopefully that helps.
Here’s hoping I can still hack it tomorrow and that I don’t embarrass myself!
2 comments:
I think part of it is knowing you are on such a regimented schedule. I love running but those last few weeks of half marathon training were brutal because it felt like a chore to run. Hang in there. It'll be so worth it!
Maybe you need to mix up your music playlist or something :) or change your routes.
Sorry I haven't commented lately-my laptop died and I've been reading blogs via my BlackBerry-which won't let me log in to post!
Glad you guys got the mortgage figured out on the rental property out west! Talk about stressful!
And good for you in being proactive and trying to keep records to present to your doctor :) I can't even imagine how stressful and time-consuming that is. Still sending you guys fertile thoughts!
Post a Comment