Today I went for the hysterosalpingogram test (aka HSG test aka dye up the lady bits test). My progesterone bloodwork came back on the lower end of normal, but still in the normal range, so it was the next test to get. This was my experience (possibly TMI).
I arrived at the radiology office and was told to take off my jeans and underwear and put on a dressing gown. The nurse led me into a room with the all too familiar stirrups, but instead of a padded reclined chair, it was a cold metal slab. A huge machine was located just off the side of the table.
I got on the table and we got started. At first it just felt like a regular annual exam, including scooting down to the end of the table, putting my feet in the stirrups and the cold speculum. (Lucky me! Two in 2 months!) After inserting the speculum, the doctor then swabbed my cervix with a solution (I believe it was a yellow/brown iodine solution to clean the area). She then inserted a catheter which produced a cramping sensation. From there, she blew up a balloon inside me which caused some more cramping pain.
I was then told to scoot backwards to get under the X-ray machine, take my feet out of the stirrups and lay them on the table. The doctor then inserted the dye into my uterus. As it traveled up through my fallopian tubes and into my ovaries, the X-ray doctor took pictures of my inside lady bits.
The whole process took 15 minutes. The nurse gave me a massive pad because for 1-3 days I will have dye, blood and iodine dripping out of me. Man I haven’t worn one of these since the beginning of high school!! And yes, I am seriously sexy.
Two hours later I still have some cramping. Good times.
The result? Everything is fine. No blockages anywhere. They showed me my X-ray and I have a very pretty uterus.* That definitely makes me happy, but it has me a confused as to why we are still having problems getting pregnant. Maybe we will know a bit better when CP’s test results come back?
*I have never seen anyone else's uterus on an X-ray, so I am not really qualified to make this statement. :-)
7 comments:
Glad to hear things are in the clear so far and that is very exciting about your pretty uterus :) And pads: NOOOOOOO. Feel your pain. Esp to be leaking very staining things like iodine - yowsah! Really hope you get KU soon.
yay for the all clear!
BIG GIANT BOO on the pads and miscellaneous leaking.
Glad everything went well. I'm so sorry you guys are having a hard time expanding your family. Once you're ready to start that family, it's so heartbreaking to have trouble. Praying that it will happen soon for you guys!
Glad to hear you're a-ok (though, I know it's frustrating to be unsure why, then, you're still not pregnant).
BTW, speaking of being pregnant. You're going to get very used to people putting their hands down there, examining down there and whatnot. You lose all modesty when it comes to that. You also lose modesty when it comes to bleeding for days (or weeks?) after giving birth. TMI??? =)
Glad to hear that things are looking good after a not so fun experience. Not to mention your good looking uterus!
I cannot imagine having to rock one of those giant pads as an adult. Those things are the worst.
Glad to hear everything's clear and that you have a lovely uterus (and I mean that in the most non-creepy way possible).
I hear you about the huge pad! I had abnormal cells lasered off my cervix about 2.5 years ago, and I had to rock the huge pad for a couple days. So uncomfortable.
I'm so glad to hear that there are no blockages and that you have a pretty uterus! I'm sorry to hear though, that they still haven't figured out what's going on :(
Post a Comment