Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

5.05.2011

Next

This week we had an audit team come into our office to see how we were doing, make sure we were following company rules and procedures, etc. (because I need MORE stress in my life right now- HA!)

While in a meeting with two of the auditors, a coworker and my boss yesterday, one of the auditors asked what makes me stay in my position. Hopefully my face didn’t give it away (there is a reason that I am not allowed to play poker- my face is too expressive!), but I tried to answer as best as I could.

Meanwhile, all I could think of in the back of my head was that I am NOT staying in this position because it doesn’t challenge me and I am BORED. I hate being bored. I also hate the fact that I am not very busy. It makes me feel like I am wasting my time. I hate wasting my time. I hate not using my brain.

So I have the following plan to find a new job and specifically a new CAREER:

*Write down my strengths
*Figure out what sort of tasks I would like to perform at my next job
*Listen to two broadcasts put together by my undergrad career center on trying to figure out what you want to do. Yes these are probably more geared towards people that are just starting out in their career, but I figure it can’t hurt. I haven’t found THE career that I want to pursue yet.
*Once I get a sense of things that I may want to do, I will also have to figure out average salaries. We depend on my salary to help pay our mortgage and the bills so I can’t drop too far from my current salary.

Am I missing anything?

The nice thing is I still have a job that isn’t going anywhere while I look for a new one. Unless a fabulous job pops up that I simply.must.have. I expect to stay here until at least mid-August. That’s when I am vested in my retirement plan and my company has been matching my contributions so there is no reason to give that up.

But yeah. My time here is up. Definitely time to move on. I’ve given my company three years to prove that it can challenge me and it has failed. Next!

2 comments:

Christina said...

You have a good list, write it all out then sit on it for a ay or two and revise. You can also use it to identify any other opportunities that your skills can transition to.

Good Lick!

Meg said...

I think you've identified some key steps towards figuring out what you want to do, and I think that can be one of the hardest things towards any goal-at least i nknow it is for myself!!