Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

6.24.2013

No travel

While I hate the term "babymoon" CP and I threw around the idea of heading somewhere fun for one last time before the baby arrives.  From all of CP's traveling around the globe for work in the past year, he already has two free tickets to anywhere in the world except for Australia/New Zealand.  So we researched and thought about taking a long weekend somewhere fun.  That meant a flight shorter than 6 hours to cut down on travel time.

Our first thought was Ecuador to a place we contemplated going to earlier this year, but couldn't get off the wait list. But maybe we could look into going in July or August?  Then our hopes were dashed by finding many articles online about NOT traveling to places with malaria while pregnant.  My doctor agreed that taking malaria medicine while pregnant is not advisable, but in addition, the medicine is not 100% effective and to get malaria while pregnant could be no bueno.

So, Ecuador was out.  That also meant basically all of Central America as well.  Boooo.

So then we started thinking about closer places, such as Santa Fe, New Mexico or the Canadian Rockies.  But then my doctor also dashed our hopes for those trips as well.  While it is safe to travel to a high altitude location while pregnant, it would take me longer to acclimate (48-72 hours) and by the time I was finally not huffing and puffing as much, the trip would be over.  Double boooo.  We decided that it wouldn't be worth it.  Not traveling into the altitude also meant having to send our regrets for a friend's wedding in Telluride, CO for Fourth of July weekend.

From there our discussion turned to whether we should even take one last trip as a couple.  Around that time we signed a contract to get all new windows throughout the house (installation is this week- YES!!).  We also met with a number of siding companies and signed a contract to get all new siding and gutters to replace the awful, old, dented, faded aluminum siding on our house (anticipated start date- late July/early August).  With the prospect of spending a whole LOT of money this summer on the house, well, maybe a trip was not in the cards.  Adding to this discussion is the fact that CP gets no paternity leave.  He has to save up his vacation time and even then, will probably not be able to take the full two weeks all at once.  Grrrrrr.

This discussion made me very sad.  While I realize that this is the smart, responsible thing to do, I don't get away from the house and all of the responsibilities very often.  While work travel is not always fun, CP has been to a bunch of new and different countries recently and I'm jealous.  

I suggested getting away for our anniversary in the beginning of October.  A place within driving distance (I will be 7 months pregnant at the time), using my parents as dog sitters, and just spending two nights together away from the house.  No time taken off and a relatively inexpensive weekend.  We'll see if it ends up happening....

14 comments:

Tia said...

NOOOOOO! :( Your doctor is super conservative. Mine said travel was totally fine, and she gave a thumbs up to Mexico. Seriously, try to fit in a trip if you can. House stuff can wait, but you'll never get the chance to travel as two carefree adults again.

As for paternity leave, is he not protected under FMLA? 2 weeks is really crummy :(

JustMe said...

Ok, before my Mexico experience I would have said "Screw it! Just go!!" I think people over-exaggerate things about travel and pregnancy. But then, everything my doctor warned me about came true. When he said, "You don't want to be in a hospital in Mexico..." He was RIGHT! I was going to suggest Hawaii, but I've also heard that's hard because you could end up being airlifted to the hospital, depending on what island/where you are. Now, for a more sedate perspective, I might suggest a long weekend with a splurge on decadent accommodations so you feel like you're getting away, but with less stress.

BUT the part of me that is still me (not scared-me) still thinks you should just GO. Ha. Tons of ppl go to Mexico or South America or wherever with no problems. Friends of ours went backpacking in Uruguay when she was 3 months along. (WOW).

JenS said...

We won't be taking a babymoon either. Mostly because of timing and my work schedule. I think the best we are going to do is a long weekend somewhere we can drive. We are also trying to be responsible about money since we do have to buy 2 of everything! But 2 free tickets? Surely you can find somewhere to go that won't break the bank.

Aramis said...

I agree that your doctor seems conservative. I've known pregnant ladies who go to Mexico, at least, since you can be relatively assured of clean water and no malaria. There's got to be somewhere you can go that isn't crazy. And even if the Rockies are out (seriously?) might I suggest other lovely parts of the great white north like British Columbia (some camping, some hiking, some time in Vancouver for shopping and dining and culture)?

Gypsy Mama said...

If you love to travel, I know you will always find a way to do it. I can totally sympathize with the cost of house renovations though. Add to that preparing for baby and no vacation time for your husband, I can see why a vacay might not be in the cards right now.

There are many beautiful places in the world to go, and I am sure you will find a place to go on a family vacation (or who knows, maybe a surprise vacation before baby!)

Mrs Green Grass said...

I did a very short weekend in Vegas which was really nice...just dinners, pool, massages and sleep! Something nearby will still be very nice.

Just T said...

Well that seriously blows! I do know a friend who lost her baby by contracting a disease overseas. She lost her at 34 weeks.

Maybe you guys can do something close to home and have some fun!

Amy Jo said...

There has to be other choices for vacation spots! I think you should do whatever it takes to try and get away.

Unknown said...

Omg go to Costa Rica! It is pretty freaking safe there.You can even drink the water there haha! Or come to California!!! ;) But honestly I know how it feels to feel stuck and I'm sorry. I hope you can get away for 2 days. We did that twice this year and I can't begin to tell you how wonderful and precious those 2 days were for our relationship. hugs!

Natalie said...

St. Louis is within driving distance and there's plenty to fill a weekend up with!

Anonymous said...

Wait, is Telluride seriously that high up? Surely pregnant women have travelled to Colorado before and been totally fine... but I do understand the pressure to spend money on nesting and save vacation time for paternity leave and, as you say, be responsible. I vote for a long weekend road trip (take the Friday and Monday off, too) when you're 7 months -- that way, it'll definitely feel like a true escape.

Navigating the Mothership said...

While I agree with others saying your doctor is very conservative, I also think that know that you have those thoughts in your head it will be hard to shake them. And if you are going to feel uncomfortable/nervous somewhere - it wouldn't be worth it!

I did experience a lot of bad headaches when I traveled to Bozeman, MT (parents lived there at the time) at 11 weeks pg or so, but that was all from an altitude standpoint.

But anyway - it would be nice for you guys to have some very simple getaway, even if it's just a weekend in a new US city and staying at a hotel on the cheap using a last-minute deal. But if it doesn't happen during pregnancy, it's not like you will never travel again dun, dun, dun... Of course there will still be future opportunities and if you wait until post baby then that means you can enjoy a glass of wine in the evening :)

Good luck making plans!

Ali W said...

I'm sorry.... You are doing the right thing but it suuuuuucks What about a little weekend away to somewhere where you can drive to? Like and little B&B, new place off the beatten path, new to you both?

@JessEsco said...

I think a weekend getaway sounds great! There's so many places near by. You'll be fine! And FYI babies travel super easily, and free :)