Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.19.2013

Ups and Downs

It was a tough weekend full of ups and downs.

Up- After work on Friday I braved Chicago traffic and headed up to MI for the night to see a good friend from college.  Her parents live only 20 minutes away from my parent's house in MI so it was great to see her- even if it was only for the night.  

Down- Right before I got to my parent's house in MI a deer with a death wish jumped in front of my car.  I looked in my rearview mirror for one second and it just appeared!  I didn't even have time to hit the brakes.  Luckily it was running fast enough across the road (and I was only going 34 mph) that I think that I just clipped the back of it and it did no damage to the car.  I was totally stunned for a few minutes, but happy that both of us came out of that encounter okay (especially because I was driving the Prius and not the Escape).

Up- Buster came with me up to MI because his cousin, my sister's dog, was going to be up with my parents.  They always have a great time together and completely tire each other out so it was an easy decision.

Down- Just that we had to leave Saturday morning and couldn't stay the whole weekend!!

Up- Saturday night we had two birthday parties in the city- one for a friend that I haven't seen in a few years, the other for my sister.  It was nice to see old friends at both parties- and get some birthday cake!  Mmmmmm birthday cake.  :-)

Down- I stood too much at both parties in flip flops.  My ankles were huge by the end of the night- my feet were KILLING me and it made driving home hard (I was the designated driver of course).

Up- CP and I finally took the plunge and headed out to check out our first baby store on Sunday.  We picked Buy Buy Baby because even though it is not close as Babies R Us to our house, I have heard that they are better with returns and we knew that we needed help shopping (they have associates take you around the store to help you figure out what you need/want and why).  We didn't really intend to do too much- just to go over the items we needed to touch/see/feel/etc. and figure out the rest later.  Well....over three hours later we were mentally exhausted and my ankles/feet were killing me again!  The good news is that my next door neighbors gave us an awesome/expensive stroller (Peg Perego) AND a more durable stroller for gravel/hiking/etc. so we just have to buy the car seat and two car seat bases, thus saving us a pretty penny.  :-)

Down- All of that time spent at the store meant that we rushed through the rest of the day. Making and canning curry zucchini relish, planting beet and carrot seeds for (crossing fingers) a fall harvest, loads of laundry, house cleaning, picking veggies, etc.  

Up- Our garden is producing ridiculous amounts of veggies these days.  Between zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, yellow wax beans, swiss chard, kale, mizuna, jalapenos, eggplant, and cayenne peppers our kitchen counter and the fridge is chock full of fresh veggies.  The baby is getting lots of tastes of different veggies these days through the amniotic fluid- hopefully it means that he/she will like veggies!!  Last night we had a salad with fresh veggies on top and also made swiss chard lasagna.  YUM!

Down- Our tomato plants are doing just okay.  They aren't very full and just aren't producing like normal.  I wonder if it is because it hasn't been hot enough this summer?  Tomatoes tend to thrive in the heat.....

THE WORST
Then to top things off, before I went to bed last night I was saying good night to the dogs (they both now sleep on the first floor).  I quickly laid down next to Koda and heard some labored breathing.  (I don't think that it anything bad, but it just got me thinking bad thoughts.)  I started bawling as I lay next to her because unfortunately she didn't get any better with the antibiotics and the Benadryl this weekend.  I talked to the vet this morning and he recommends a CT scan to see if she does have a bone tumor.  I called over to find out prices on the CT scan- the estimate is $1200-1300 and if they have to biopsy anything, that's another $1500.  *sigh*  There is a possibility that we could have a consult with the oncologist without a CT scan to figure out our options (if we have any), but that is something that CP and I have to discuss tonight.  Work has been hard so far today as I didn't sleep well last night and I can't stop thinking about her.....

By the way, thank you all for your supportive comments on my post from Friday.  It was nice to know that so many people were thinking about Koda!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Koda not getting better!
Your garden sounds amazing though.
For the swelling, I have some of these sleeves for runners (I actually bought them for flights, long before I got pregnant). I've seen them sold in maternity stores, and I wore them on Saturday when I was out and about all day and didn't have any swelling. Maybe check if those could help you?

Toni said...

Oh no!!!!!! It is so hard to see a pet sick. Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tia said...

I'm SO sorry to hear about Koda :( The vet is 90% sure our cat has cancer, and we're just awaiting final bloodwork confirmation. It's heartbreaking. If it helps your decision any, I used to work in an animal oncology/radiology clinic. In the year I was there, I saw zero dogs cured, yet I saw many families drain their life savings to pay for it. It was so sad, especially because I never felt like the vet told them up front things were unlikely to work.

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

That's horrible about Koda. So hoping everything is okay. It's never fun having big vet bills like that..poor thing. Glad you missed the dear (for the most part).

Aramis said...

I'm so sorry to hear Fuzzy Britches isn't better. I really hope you guys get some better news from the specialist.

JenS said...

Oh no. Poor pup :( hopefully, you can get some good options from the oncologist. I know those won't be easy decisions to make.
So glad you missed hitting that deer! In a battle between prius and deer, the deer would definitely win.

Emilie said...

Oh no :( This sucks. I'm so sorry FB is not better with the Benadryl. I was thinking about you all weekend after seeing your post on Friday. I'm sorry you and CP have to think about this right now - it's not fun EVER. I'll be thinking of you and your fur babies!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I'm really sorry to hear about Koda. When we bring pets into our lives, we do so assuming we will outlive them. It doesn't make it easier, though, when their health fails. Hope you and CP come to a resolution to this soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie. I'm SO glad for such awesome "ups," but Damn I'm so sad for the troubles with Koda. I heart is breaking for you. I wish you peace and comfort during such a difficult time. The decisions you face are not for the faint of heart but know we're all here for you!

JustMe said...

Notice how we all focused on the part of this post about your dog? That's because we are all worried about her. I am so sorry this is happening :(

I did want to comment on what Tia said. I'm sure what she says is true, but our dog is so much better and the cancer in his lymph nodes is gone. However, it's not "cured." It will come back. The question is just - when. And it cost SO much money. Thousands of dollars. But if we can extend our nine year old dog's life another two years, it seems worth it.

Course, it depends on what kind of cancer, what treatment options, and what financial options. Ugh. I am so sorry. I hope it's not cancer.

Amber said...

It sounds like you had a good weekend being able to visit with a lot of old friends. What a scare that would have been with the deer. I'm so glad you didn't hit it fully, might have taken out the Prius! I am so sorry about Koda. That must be heartbreaking.