Last Thursday CP and I packed up the car and headed out to a cabin rental at Silver Lake, MI (think central western MI) to join two other couples and their kids. We didn't know anything about the area but Silver Lake is right off of Lake Michigan and has some really cool dunes. There was a whole dune buggy culture that we were not expecting, but the cabin was cheap and the water was a great temperature.
Last year this same vacation (well, same friends, different location) had me worried because here we were infertile and trying to hang out with two couples that each had two children. This year, being pregnant made the trip so much easier. Well, I was a little more exhausted than the other adults and I couldn't drink with them, but I wasn't feeling too awkward being the childless couple because at least there is a good chance that I will have my own child this year.
There were three 23-monthers and a 3.5 year old. It was hectic at times but the kids were pretty good for the most part. While CP and the couples drank, I had no craving what-so-ever for alcohol, but it was weird to be the ONLY sober adult there. I'm much more of a stick in the mud when I am sober....but I was not envying the hangovers that everyone had! We had a good time at the beach, on a boat, at a petting farm, etc. Most likely due to lack to sleep, too much sun the day before, and overall exhaustion, I became moody on Sunday afternoon and skipped out on the beach trip with everyone and instead stayed in the cabin watching "Orange is the New Black" on Netflix on my phone. Have you guys checked out this show? It's awesome. By the time everyone got home I was in a better mood and ready to be social again.
Overall the weekend was great, but I was a bit annoyed when we got home. Before we left for the trip, we decided that each couple would take a night and make dinner and then the final night we would go out with the kids. Everyone went to the store to grab booze and food at some point. CP and I figured that the only thing that we needed to split at the end of the trip was the boat rental. But no. Each couple had to submit their tally of how much they spent for the long weekend. This included the boat (fine), booze (of which I had none) and food for the kids (of which we have none). Then we split it three ways. How is that fair? To be honest, we probably would have just said that it was fine to split it three ways if one of our friends had said, "oh should CP and NSC pay less because NSC didn't drink and they don't have kids?" But no one brought that up. And it's not like this is the first time. A few weeks ago we spent the weekend with one of the couples- both times we went out to a restaurant we ended up splitting the bill, despite the fact that I didn't drink any alcohol and we don't have any kids. I don't know if our friends are just not thinking about it, but it's annoying. I decided not to say anything (although maybe I should have because clearly I am ranting about it) because in the end, it's not worth it, but grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Despite that, it was a nice long weekend away from work. We sailed through the city without traffic on Monday (amazing!) and picked up the dogs from the kennel. 5am on Tuesday morning I woke up to a collar shaking from downstairs and the smell immediately hit my nose. One of the dogs had pooped downstairs (not a common occurrence). I jumped out of bed, threw my glasses on, and went to find the culprit. I immediately figured out that it was Buster due to his guilty face, but I also recognized that it was explosive diarrhea. Here is where the story may become a bit TMI. It was ALL OVER the first floor of our house. I called for CP and took Buster out so that he could finish the job outside. CP and I then spent the next THREE HOURS bathing Buster (thank goodness for our motion detector lights on the garage because it was still dark out), wiping down the couch, stereo, a plant, walls, kitchen cabinets, and steam cleaning the carpets. He really made his mark all over the house. *shudder* I ended up staying home with him on Tuesday to continue cleaning and make sure that he wasn't going to have another episode. Thankfully it seems to have been a one time occurrence and his stomach has righted itself on his new diet of boiled rice and boiled chicken. Oh man it was awful. But I guess we are ready for kids?
So yeah, no way to really end this post on a high note other than I have 5 more days until I officially hit the third trimester of this pregnancy!! And NFL football starts tonight- WOO HOO!
8 comments:
First of all, there is no way that your friends simply didn't think about the fact that you're not drinking and you have no children. There is no way this would not have crossed someone's mind. That would piss me off, as well.
Second, soo bad about all of the explosive poo. This used to happen to one of my dogs whenever they went to the kennel. He just got too stressed being away from home, I think. But, it was on the plant? Oh dear me.
If it bothers you, I would probably say something to your friends. At this point, it doesn't matter whether they think about it or not ... the fact is it bothers you. In general, I don't drink as much as my friends. So, if we're going out in a group, I either refrain from drinking altogether (and pay for my food separately) or I go into it knowing there's a good chance I'll pay for more than what I ate. Usually, though, someone points out I'm not drinking and suggest I owe less (thankfully).
I agree that you should say something about the bill. If not this time, then next time for sure. It would irk me too.
We've been watching a bit of Orange and liking it. Too funny at times.
LOVE Orange is the New Black. M and I plowed through the whole season in a week or so and I can't wait for the next one! Sorry to hear about the poo episode...we had a bit of that with Buddy until we figured out his intestinal issues. At least we had hardwood floors, which saved a lot of cleaning.
Splitting the bill would totally piss me off under those circumstances. Actually, anytime we go out with other people, everyone is always paying for there own and we've never just split the bill up the middle. That is craziness that you guys are paying for their drinks and kids! About the poo episode, all I can really say is ewwwww and disgusting. I would not have survived the cleanup. I'm sure we will have plenty of those moments with our twins, and I'm not sure how I'll handle tha either! Ha!
I would be just as irritated as you about the splitting the bill thing. It seems that if everyone at some point went to the store and bought food and booze, then that should be enough. Seems a little anal to tally up each receipt and divide it up. Usually, we just split a bill at a restaurant, but if someone didn't drink or someone ordered more (or you know bought meals for their kids), they would generally offer to pay more.
Um, gross about the explosive poo. That cannot have been fun to clean up. At least it's pretty likely any baby poo explosions won't be quite that bad.
uhh yeah i would definitely be annoyed about the bill thing...if i were you i'd bring it up next time! eventually you'll have a kid and it'll even out more but right now that's just rude of them!!
and congrats on almost hitting 3rd tri!
I'm super in love with Orange is the New Black - the character development is top notch and it's just an all around awesome sort of shot.
Also, the splitting of things would piss me off too. That's just plain not fair. And it really doesn't make sense when their families include more people than yours does.
Post a Comment