![]() |
| Proudly showing off her belly hives to the daycare director so that she could send me a picture |
In the past month, she has gotten hives a few more times. There has been no rhyme or reason as to when or where on her body she gets them, but I have been able to give her Benadryl (when we are home) and they have gone down.
Every time it happened I would think back to what she ate and at one point I thought she may be allergic to chocolate around Easter because she got hives soon after eating chocolate. Finally, I decided to make a doctor appointment on Wednesday to figure out what was going on.
The doctor asked about whether Izzy ever had trouble breathing or if her lips/throat swelled up with the hives (nope). She also didn't have a fever, an ear infection, or anything showing on her tongue/in her mouth when the doctor checked her out. However, when the doctor felt under her neck, she did feel swollen lymph nodes. Little did I know that viruses such as strep can cause off and on hives without any other symptoms- sure enough Izzy's strep test came back positive.
Since Izzy was feeling completely fine but couldn't go back to school until yesterday, we had a fun day together (CP was in North Carolina so I had to take the day off). While picking up her antibiotics I decided to get her a bubble machine and boy was it a big hit on her sick day!
We ran into my neighbor who told us that her oldest son has the same thing as Izzy- no regular symptoms of strep but as soon as a notice goes out at school that someone has strep, she looks for cold sores around his mouth and knows that he also has strep. So, next time Izzy gets hives and/or there is a strep notice at daycare, it's time to take her into the doctor again!
#Themoreyouknow


3 comments:
That is so fascinating! I always thought strep had to come with the sore throat. I guess if you're going to be sick, having no symptoms except an itchy tummy is a pretty good deal! Love the bubble machine and Izzy's joyful face.
Interesting, thanks for sharing! It looks like you had a fun day :)
No way! That's one of those things I will definitely be filing away in the mental database for later... :)
Post a Comment