Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

11.02.2011

Going under

Fibroid surgery is tomorrow. I’m not worried about it because I am too busy at work and then when we are home, we are dealing with the whole no power ordeal. I keep telling myself that having no power could be worse, but then again, how sanitary are things going to be around my house when I get home from surgery if we don’t have power? We have been heating water on the stove (thank goodness for a gas stove) in order to wash dishes, but we would have to heat a lot of water for a shower!

CP found a Courtyard about an hour away that has an open room for the weekend and was urging me to go there (worried about me? Or not wanting to deal with my complaining? A little of both?). I don’t want to spend the money- I also worry about being able to sit in a car for an hour. I would just rather be home than in a hotel. I’ll hopefully sleep most of the powerless-days away anyway. I HAD planned on a bunch of trash tv watching, but with the power out I guess I will read a lot of books and be very very bored.

Our power company says our electricity should be back on by Sunday at midnight. My timeline until then:

*CP and I head to the hospital tomorrow morning at 10:30am.
*Surgery starts at 12pm.
*Surgery should last until 3pm or so.
*I stay the night at the hospital with heat and electricity (CP will go home to be with the dogs).
*Friday morning I am released from the hospital to a home with no power, heat, hot water, etc.
*Friday afternoon CP picks up my mom from the airport. My poor mom is flying out for the weekend to help CP out and will have to wear sweaters all weekend and a headlamp! Moms are great.

At least the temperatures for the next five days should be in the 50s during the day.

I may not be posting for a bit. First we have to get our power on. Second I have to be able to sit at a computer (my work laptop does not allow for WiFi and we don’t have a tablet) long enough to craft a post. I’ll try to at least update that I survived! :-)

In the meantime, I have a few restrictions for the next couple of weeks:

*Stairs only once a day so that means staying on the first floor all day (where we have a bathroom, the couch near the fireplace, and the kitchen) until I am ready for bed.
*No driving for two weeks (!)
*No walking for exercise for two+ weeks.
*No lifting anything for a month.
*Eating, showering, etc. should be normal, but I won’t have much of an appetite when I am on the heavy drugs the first couple of days.
*I may have some pain the first couple of days as the CO2 they have to pump into my stomach gets absorbed into my body. It tends to be pain in your right shoulder (weird).
*I will likely have bruising and soreness for a week+ in my incision points.

As my doctor said, this is major surgery on the inside (to the uterus), but not major surgery on the outside.

…..And here we go!

8 comments:

Ginger said...

At least there's power at the hospital, right?

Good luck tomorrow, and during your recovery! Any abdominal nonsense is no fun, so make sure you take it easy (or as easy as you can with no power!)

@JessEsco said...

Oh my gosh yall got a lot of snow. Best of luck to you!!! Get well soon!

Emilie said...

Sending you lots and lots of good vibes! We just got power back (my town is not estimated to be complete until Sunday night) so maybe you'll get yours back sooner than anticipated? Best of luck with the surgery, I hope it goes well.

Christina said...

Good luck tomorrow. When you get tome may there be electricity and two happy tails.

Stevie said...

I hope everything goes smoothly! Sending good thoughts your way.

terra said...

You're probably in surgery right now so I'm sending you lots of good vibes and hoping everything goes well and that your power comes back on before it's expected to!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Good luck tomorrow!!

Amy Jo said...

I'm a little late...by now you are probably home from the hospital. I'm sending you good, healing thoughts.

I really hope your power comes back on earlier than anticipated. I can't imagine being without it for so long. Especially in your "condition"!

Enjoy time with your mom!