The offer for the Chicago job came in yesterday! The salary was a little less than we were
hoping, and instead of saying they would pay for our moving expenses, closing
costs, temporary housing, etc. the company is willing to give us a flat fee for
everything.
So now CP and I have to do our homework. We have to compare the cost of living here
with the cost of living in the suburbs of Chicago (most importantly how a comparable
house there is more expensive than our house here) in order to justify asking
for more money. We also have to push
back on the moving expenses. I
understand why they would only want to give us a flat fee for everything, but I
don’t think that it is going to cover all of our expenses. After our last move that we did with the help
of friends, CP and I said that our next move (which ideally wouldn’t have been
for many years) we would use movers. And
if they just give us a flat fee for everything, we are going to try to scrimp
and save- which means not hiring movers and having to do a lot of it
ourselves. No bueno. Also, who knows how long it is going to take
to sell our house? We may be in
temporary housing for a while simply because we can’t sell the house (and
therefore buy another house) and that could get very expensive (along with
potentially having to store our stuff somewhere). Tomorrow CP will talk to the headhunter and
they will counter the offer using all of our research. Fingers are crossed they work with us!
My parents are ecstatic and I feel like I should be happier
than I am. Maybe it is because this
whole moving, logistics of moving, selling the house, moving to a new area, etc.
is going to be EXHAUSTING. And yes,
because it is my personality, I have already started worrying. Mainly on how much money we are going to lose
on trying to sell our house and how much money we are going to have to spend on
a new house. Yikes. I truly love our house here, our town, and
our friends here. We were finally starting
to get settled. *sigh*
Now we have to start all over again. New house, new jobs (different office
location for me), new friends, etc.
Thinking about all it makes me want to curl up in my bed and pull the
comforter over my head. Or drink a lot.
5 comments:
That is exciting! I hope they accept the counter and give up some more money! In work situations, I've learned, you just have to ask for the money and they will give it to you. They always try to lowball, but they do have a threshold that they are willing to go up to.
Now is the right time to ask for everything you need, since they want your husband! It definitely has to be a desirable situation for you to move. Good luck!
Very exciting that CP got the offer. Even if you decide you can't make this offer work, at least you know he's very marketable for the next time around.
Also, have you considered renting in Chicago, even if you could sell your place out east super fast? I have lived here for 16 (adult) years and the thought of buying in the suburbs scares the crap out of me, because I feel like this next move will be so permanent. The thought of moving back to my childhood hometown and buying right away would surely send me over the edge (how do we know we're making the right decision - will we like the community - etc.)? Just a thought - it might make the potential move back to the Midwest a little less stressful if you give yourselves a year (or more) of renting before deciding where to settle down.
Congrats on the job offer!!
As someone who made the move from NY to chicago, I can totally understand where you are coming from. My company paid for the move that was well over $1000 because movers consider Chicago "out of the way" if Iw as moving to Florida t would have been a lot less.
But, do your homework, know your must haves and follow your instinct.
there are a number of options and you can rent rather than buy in Chicago so that may help ease the burden.
Good luck, it will work out
Congratulations to CP! And good luck to both of you figuring out what you want/need to do next. It's exciting, but I'm with you, that's all stressful too!
YAY! So exciting!! I know it's stressful, just the thought of moving, but it's all really exciting too.
Post a Comment