While I was in DC last week for work we had quite a busy
week at home with showings. Poor CP had
to leave with the dogs for hours on end because we had so much interest! I’m definitely not complaining….let’s just
say it is a good thing that he hasn’t been too busy at work recently!
So in the first two days we had seven different showings. On the third day a couple from Alabama came
for the third time and called our realtor to make an offer….an offer $30,000
BELOW our asking price. HA HA HA
HA. It was very insulting. I get that they probably had a palatial place
down in Alabama, but that is not the housing market here. Not only are we getting a lot of traffic in
the door for showings, but the house has been on the market for TWO DAYS and we
haven’t even had the open house yet. Not
to mention we just spent money on a painter to repaint the trim in the house
and reglaze the front windows. Way to
piss off the sellers- especially because we competitively priced our house only
a few thousand more than when we bought the place because we wanted it to sell
quickly. Maybe they thought that we were
in financial trouble and that they could get a steal of a house???
CP was tempted to not even start to negotiate with these
people, but we ended up dropping our price by $1000 because they came in with a
strong offer otherwise (not having to sell a house, putting a bunch of money
down, etc). They came back with an offer
only $8000 more than their first offer, we dropped the price by $4000. They upped their price by $5000, then we gave
our realtor a final offer of $10,000 off our initial asking price on Sunday. We were prepared to lose a little money on
the house just to get it sold quickly because CP’s relocation package would
help with the loss.
The open house went well on Sunday, but the realtor didn’t
have anyone telling her that they were going to contact their agent about the
house. Meanwhile, we had a showing
Monday morning and then a second showing again that afternoon. The Alabama buyers came back and said that they
would take our final offer of the $10,000 off our asking price Monday afternoon. BUT then the realtor got a call that the
people that came in for two showings on Monday said that they were writing an
offer. They knew that they were up
against a different offer so that they had to make it strong. BIDDING WAR!
Love it.
So these new people came in with a much better offer (over
our asking price!) and also don’t have to sell a house themselves. SCORE.
Our realtor went back to the Alabama couple to see if they wanted to
better their offer, and then inexplicably lowered their offer to $20,000 below
our initial asking price. I’m truly
hoping that this negotiation is not the realtor’s strategy because it is
awful! First, piss off the sellers with
an insulting offer three days after a house goes on the market and then lower
the bid once you find out there is another offer in play? WTF?
Obviously we signed the offer from the second set of buyers
who came in above asking price. Because
they came in with a serious offer, we are going to be more willing to work with
them on any inspection items that come up….whereas we would have been
hard-a**es with the Alabama couple- who also seemed as if they would be
nit-picking on the inspections items too.
Another piece of the puzzle has fallen into place- after only 8 days on the market! I just hope we get a competent appraiser!!
10 comments:
OH MY GOSH! Congratulations! That's so amazing you had 2 offers so quickly. I'm so happy things are falling into place for you. My money says a baby will come soon after you land in Chicago :)
OH MY GOSH....My jaw was wide open the whole time I was reading that post!! Congrats! I'm so glad that things are REALLY falling into place for you guys. I hope the goodness keeps flowing for you...
That's incredible that you had multiple offers on your house after only a week. As a seller, I'm not sure I'd be all that pissed or offended at offers, even the low-ball ones. Not sure about real estate in CT, but in Chicago, offers like that come in all the time (and are often taken). Maybe their bidding strategy was based on what they know of the Alabama market? Who knows. The most important thing is you have legitimate buyers lined up for your house. Awesome!
WOO HOO! Check that off the to-do list.
Awesome!! :)
I love how everything is coming together for you guys. I'm sure it's still stressful, but it's got to be nice to get those big puzzle pieces in place!
That is great news, one thing to your benefit is that you and CP have taken great care of the house and you are not in a short sale or a foreclosure.
My friend also had a bidding war for her house in the burbs here. It is good to hear that people are buying
That's amazing! It has taken us five months to get an offer lower than we wanted. I love it when the puzzle pieces start to fit.
WOW! I love that everything is falling into place for you guys! That is awesome!!!
AMAZING!! This move really is meant to be and I'm just happy for you guys!
Post a Comment