Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

6.26.2012

Offer


So yeah, CP put an offer in on the major fixer-upper last night.  He viewed the house again with my dad and our realtor, and oddly enough the seller’s realtor also showed up.  The seller’s realtor walked them through the house, pointing out any flaws and things that we should take into consideration.  I guess that she lives in the same town and would be a neighbor, so she wanted to make sure we knew what we were getting into (the answer to that is no- ha!).  Plus she said that the seller would rather not deal with too many inspection items so it would be better to lower the offer now.

We lowballed our offer due to the fact that we are going to have to put A LOT of money in the house.  Well, I say “we” but really it was all CP and my Dad.  I knew that they were viewing the house at 6pm last night and finally at 8pm I broke down and called them to see what was going on.  Turns out they were “about to call me” to tell me about the offer.  It annoyed me that no one called me to discuss how to price the offer.  I get that CP and my Dad were there with our realtor and that CP and I had already discussed him putting an offer in the night before, but still.  It is my paycheck that will have to pay the mortgage.  At least call me to give me a heads up.

Anyway, from the first day we will be able to live in the house as almost everything is working and safe, but very outdated.  (There may be asbestos in the tiles in the basement and the cooktop is currently not working.)  If we end up getting the house, we have A LOT of work ahead of us.

I have a teensy bit of doubt that this is the house for us at this moment simply because we are trying to add a child into our family, but who knows how long that is going to take.  And a lot of the work that needs to be done will not be done by me and CP because it is going to be too technical.  CP and I have always said that we aren’t going to stop living our lives while trying for a kid (other than foolishly spending money of course), so if we could get this house it will be a steal….even if it needs a bunch of work.

Cross your fingers our offer (or a subsequent offer) is accepted!

8 comments:

@JessEsco said...

Wow!!! Seriously this is all going great! You will be able to make this house exactly what you want and it'll become a great investment property, especially if it is in an awesome neighborhood.

Good luck!

Tia said...

Good luck! We just finished a very small kitchen remodel - using a contractor for 90% of the work - and we both swear we'll never remodel again! It was such a dirty, stressful process. I know tons of people that love the process though, and I greatly admire them! I'm really excited for you guys that so many things are falling into place so quickly.

robyn said...

I hope that you aren't deferring an inspection - especially in such an old, in-need-of-repair-house.
Phil and I pretty much completely reno'd our house last year and it was difficult and time consuming (everything takes WAY longer than you anticipate) and stressful - BUT it is nice to have it exactly how you want it once your done.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Super exciting. I can live vicariously through you as you remodel. Good luck with the offer/counter offer process!

Christina said...

Good luck, I know that it is stressful but if the neighborhood and location are worth the risk it might be a good investment

Amy Jo said...

I'm looking forward to following you on this journey! Good luck with the offer process.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I remember my college boyfriend rented "our" apartment for us, as he had already moved to the town where we'd be moving. I was SO MAD at what we wound up with ... and wished I had been there to give input.

That said, I don't expect that to be the case with you. First, you and CP have already gone through the home buying process together, so you likely have aligned views of what you're looking for. And then, there's the matter of putting work into your new home ... putting your own stamp on it, which you'll definitely be a part of ... here's hoping everything turns out great for you guys!

terra said...

I've always wanted to buy an outdated fixer upper and put love and work into it and make it my own. Fingers crossed everything works out on this!