Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

10.22.2012

Mindful Remembrance Walk

A couple of day ago, Belle from Scrambled Eggs suggested a Virtual Walk to Remember for readers to reflect on women who have suffered losses (including their own) and women who have lost hope through many failed cycles.  I obviously fall into the latter category as I have never seen a positive pregnancy test in the 2.5 years of trying.

For my walk, I decided to do a slow, mindful walk through the neighborhood.  The author of the "Conquering Infertility" book that I am reading suggests lots of different relaxation and meditation techniques- one of them is to take a mindful walk.  

During my walk I felt the hard sidewalk beneath my feet.  I listened to the engines of the cars driving by me.  I heard the rustle of leaves gliding across the street in the wind.  I felt the sun radiate warmth onto my body and with my back to the rising sun, the heat on my calves.  I looked at the bright colors of the turning trees.  Everything was clear and crisp due to the cold air morning.  I saw squirrels frolicking in the trees.  Deep breathes in and out.

I tried to focus on the sensations from the walk instead of the red blood that I saw that morning on only Day 22.*

Towards the end of the walk, I thought about everyone in the world that has lost a baby.  I thought about IRL friends that have lost a baby.  I thought about online friends that have lost a baby.  And finally, I thought about myself and all of the other IF people that are still waiting to get pregnant.

The walk was powerful and later as I sat on the train into Chicago, I still felt affected by it.  I'm not usually someone who can stop their life to truly THINK about all of my emotions- I'm more someone who tries to laugh off emotions with a deflecting joke or a sarcastic remark.  But this was a great idea and I hope to do more mindful walks in the future.



*No more red blood since then, but the brown stuff has continued.  ???




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved reading this post. So thoughtful and a great reminder of how powerful and helpful relaxation can be. I really need to read that book!

Stork Chaser said...

I love this and thanks for sharing. A mindful walk sounds perfect for anxious days. I've taught PTSD-sufferers a similar technique to bring them back to reality and never thought of something like this for me. I'm glad you were able to participate in the walk and hope the memory of that day helps!

Navigating the Mothership said...

This was inspiring to me.

I took a mindfulness course (Jon Kabat Zinn-based) long ago back when I could have work pay for it (continuing ed thing) and it was really interesting, but hard.

I've continued to try to incorporate mindfulness in all sorts of ways, but still...IT's HARD.

My therapist recommended this book and I plan to buy it. It's several short little mindful activities you can do. http://www.amazon.com/How-Train-Wild-Elephant-Mindfulness/dp/1590308174

Belle said...

I'm so glad to know you joined. I have joined a mindfulness group in KY and am working on being more mindful in my daily life. It is hard, but the rewards are huge. I'm so happy to hear your mindful walk was therapeutic. xoxo