Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

10.04.2013

Anniversary

Yesterday was our fourth wedding anniversary (fun fact: we share the same wedding date as the Obamas!). Unfortunately CP had a work trip so he was out of state. I was busy most of the day doing stuff, but this shutdown crap has made me realize that I could never be a stay-at-home wife (especially without kids). I'm sure that I would meet other women that didn't work but it is simply not enough for me.

This year will be a very boring anniversary year. The whole not getting paid thing puts a damper on wanting to spend money on gifts and a fancy dinner, so we are headed out to a nice, but not too expensive restaurant tomorrow night to celebrate. And no gifts. Or maybe the new freezer that we have to buy will be the gift to ourselves. *groan*

Yesterday I also had a doctor's appointment. At this point in my pregnancy I am now going every two weeks. I was listening to an NPR story about the shutdown on my way over to the appointment which made my blood boil so I was certain that my blood pressure would be high. Amazingly enough, it was normal. My belly growth is also normal and the baby's heartbeat sounded good. I did lose a pound in the last two weeks (why can't it be this easy when I am not pregnant? I'm not even trying to lose weight?!?) which the doctor said wasn't a big deal. But she did say to try not to stress too much about my job- this may be a good time to take some extra naps and relax.

But it is hard for me to relax when I know that I have this extra time to get stuff done around the house. Call it nesting, but if I lay around sleeping and watching tv all day I wouldn't feel very good about myself or very accomplished. This is a definite change from a few years ago. Maybe I am finally an adult......

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! I hope the shutdown annoyances resolve themselves soon, and that you have an enjoyable dinner anyway.
I'm having a hard time just relaxing, too -- sure, I'm doing much less than before, but still little bits here and there that probably aren't strictly necessary.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

So, you're basically saying I'm pathetic that I get excited about gifting ourselves something home-related? Give yourself another year of marriage and maybe you'll feel the same way. =)

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

Happy anniversary and happy nesting!

jAllen said...

Happy Anniversary! Cool fun fact to share your anniversary with the first couple. Your comment reminded me of the first presidential debate, where some blamed Obama's poor performance on (a, he got some action before the debate or b, was thinking about getting some action after the debate) Fun to laugh about it now, but it provided a few tense days!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! We totally had the same "blah" situation with gifts this year... no money in the bank basically meant we got a diaper bag and called it "our gift to one another"... erm, yeah, pretty lame. Good to hear your blood pressure is in check -- it's so unpredictable sometimes, eh? There are times when I feel very relaxed and it ends up being high, and other times when I'm anxious and then it's fine. Guess you just can't dwell on it.

Amber said...

Hope you enjoyed your anniversary dinner!

Terra said...

Happy anniversary! I definitely felt like I had to use my furlough time doing ALL THE THINGS, so I get it. I probably should have taken some time to couch potato about, but there was just too much to do!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I hope you enjoyed your anniversary dinner!