Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

2.21.2013

Feb ICLW

Welcome everyone from ICLW!  If you are looking for some background on me, please go here.  My infertility timeline is on the right side of my blog.

Just yesterday I started my Lupron shots for IVF #1!  I had quite the freakout which turned out to be so silly.  My logical brain knows that I'm a smart girl and a lot of other women have been able to give themselves shots....if doctors thought that it was too dangerous then they would have women come into the clinic every night and have the nurses give the shots.  It turned out that I barely felt the needle and it wasn't a big deal at all.

I find that I often psych myself out when I get anxious and build things up too much.  I was worried when I started taking scuba diving classes in preparation for our honeymoon because I don't like to open my eyes underwater...despite the fact that I had gone scuba diving twice before.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to run a half marathon, but sure enough, I finished it right at my goal time.  I doubt myself and my abilities too often and then feel silly for doing so.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but at least I know that I can handle the Lupron shots!  We'll see if I have another freakout when I add in the Gonal f and Menopur.  :-)

18 comments:

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

Congrats on your first shot and finishing your half! Both are big accomplishments.

Shelley said...

Glad you survived the first shot!!!

Just T said...

The thing I hated most about lupron needles are, they are to small and not sharp enough to really penetrate the skin easily. You are doing this though! Yay!

Our Journey Through This Lovely Life said...

Woowhoo! Congrats on your first shot!

JenS said...

I do the same thing. I work myself up and get anxious about things that end up not being a big deal. Anticipation is the worst for me and kept me really stressed out during my first IVF. And nothing, not even the shots, were as bad as I imagined.

KelBel said...

Yay!! Glad doing the Lupron shot wasn't that bad. :)

Rebecca said...

Hi from ICLW. First time giving yourself a shot can be nerve wracking. 2 IVFs later I'm so used to shots it's now nothing.

AJ said...

So excited for you and your first ivf! Heart job with the first shot! They definitely get easier

wherethebleepisourstork said...

Hi from ICLW! WE are sock buddies!! I will get your socks out soon! I was so nervous about my first injection (not for IVF) but by then end of it I was a pro!

Gypsy Mama said...

I'm so excited for you that you are already taking your shots! I am sending you lots of good vibes :)

Team Harries said...

Hi from ICLW! Excited for your upcoming IVF!!! Hope it goes well

Emily said...

Yay for lupron! I'll be excitedly following along through your cycle! It's fun having someone else just behind me!

Lya said...

Congrats on your first shot!

Anonymous said...

How exciting that you have officially started your IVF cycle. I'm with you on the injections, they are not bad once you get over the mental issue of sticking a needle in yourself. Sending good thoughts your way :)

jAllen said...

Whoo-hoo! you must be so excited to get started! so happy for you!

Elana Kahn said...

I was like that with the Ovidrel shot when I first had to take it. I was doing Clomid and had a family member (who's a doctor) give me that shot because I was terrified to do it. Eventually I ended up doing my own shots after that. Great job! Happy ICLW!

Breathe Gently said...

Yay! So happy you got through - now you can do it all. xxx

Amber said...

Yep, I have a nice big healthy fear of needles. I have psyched myself out many evenings on giving myself the shots, but the Lupron was one of the easiest injections.

I'm looking forward to cheering you on as you continue this journey towards parenthood!