Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

3.07.2011

Am I crazy?

Guess what I did this weekend?

On Sunday I headed to the nearby Fleet Feet store and I signed up for Half Marathon training! I was originally going to wait to see if I got pregnant this month, but the store has a policy if you drop out within the first 14 days of the start of training, the cost of the program is refunded (minus $20). I also figured that the odds were against us getting pregnant this month anyway, so I might as well sign up when I had time.

My program starts March 19th where I we will meet the coaches and run 4 miles. I am just on the cusp of not being fast enough (you have to be able to run 4 miles in 44 minutes), so I am definitely going to be in the slowest group. I have a 5K the next day, but decided that it would be silly to miss the first day of training. The 5K is really for my hair stylist anyway- it’s her first one and she is slower than me so if I’m a little sore/tired then it will be okay. I was hoping to see if I could PR, but oh well.

Every week we will add a mile onto our training run. I will have to miss the April 2nd training run, but that’s so I can participate in my Quarter Marathon race!

I have two major fears. One, that my heels and/or some other body part are going to prevent me from either finishing training or running the race. There is nothing much I can do about that other than ice, stretch and hope it doesn’t happen. Two, it means that I have to get up REALLY early on Saturday mornings. In the beginning the trainings will start at 8am, but when it gets hotter they will start at 7am. Yikes. I am going to have to start getting up earlier during the week so that I am not a zombie when trying to run!!

While at the store I also picked up Body Glide, a product that reduces chafing when running. While my chafing across my ribs wasn’t as bad after my 7 mile run on Saturday than last week, I figured I would pick it up as a preventative measure. Especially because I will start to run longer distances….and soon.

Hold me.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Congrats! It'll be great, I promise :)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I am a strong supporter of living life as you're trying to get pregnant. Being good to your body means you'll just be in better shape when you do get pregnant.

I trained for my first marathon with an organized group and it was great. I just hope the "minimum" requirements to be a part of this training group doesn't put pressure on you to run faster than you feel comfortable. No matter what, be good to your body!

funderson said...

Yeah, crazy like a bad ass half-marathoner!!

justme said...

you are AWESOME! So excited for this new adventure!

terra said...

I am totally impressed with all this marathon business. I'm not sure it's something I could ever accomplish and am totally in awe of anyone who even attempts such an amazing feat!