This morning I still only had two measurable follicles- one at 12.7, the other at 12.9. I have now been on stims for 10 days (day 11 would be tonight) with only two follicles to show for it. At this point during IVF cycle #1 I had already triggered.
So...only two measurable follicles and some quick research yesterday online that talked about diminished egg quality if stims are used 12 or more days. Two more issues come up as well- I am all out of Menopur and would need to rush around today to find some for tonight (as well as a little more Gonal f) AND having to think about insurance. Is this cycle worth it if best case scenario I only have two mature follicles for retrieval? I only have two fresh IVF cycles left that would be covered under my insurance plan. Who knows what my fertilization and drop off rate would be- would I even make it to transfer?
I guess I am thinking that it would be best to cut our losses right now and just transfer this to an IUI. *sigh*
I will update when I hear from my clinic.
********UPDATE***********
Just talked to the nurse. Apparently the ultrasound lady gave me incorrect follicle sizes this morning and there are two right under 13 right now. Two measurable follicles at this point is still not great so we are likely going to do an IUI for this cycle (I have to go home and talk to CP first). It is likely that the follicles will stall on their own so continuing the meds is the best chance of ovulating.
Tonight I don't have any Menopur but we will be ordering more for tomorrow. I will take the rest of my Gonal f and also get more tomorrow. I will go in for monitoring on Wednesday morning with a likely trigger on Friday, IUI on Saturday. I asked if an IUI is even worth it at this point since all three back in 2012 didn't work, but frankly, it would at least give us a shot. You know that $900 I was so excited about saving when I bought all of the drugs? Well that is likely going to go towards these extra drugs for the next few days. :-/
After the IUI doesn't work we'll have to meet with the doctor to figure out the next protocol. Maybe one WITHOUT birth control pills.
10 comments:
I'm very biased based on my own experience, with my first IVF cycle where I had fewer projected mature eggs than I thought I would and strongly considered cancelling the cycle, which I regret that I didn't asI produced a batch of poor quality embryos. If you think things may go better, or even worth a second try (maybe lupron in lieu of BCPs or changing stims in anyway) then you've only lost the cost of meds and time.
Oh this is a tough situation to be in. I don't think converting to IUI is a bad idea, if you only have the 2 eggs. Then, if you don't get pregnant and try again next month, I'm sure you could change your protocol and hopefully get better results.
Our clinic has us watching 1.5 hrs (!!) of videos to prepare us / teach us about IVF and the process, and we just watched the one with the stats on how many viable blastocysts typically end up from a given number of follicles. WHAT THE HECK. How frustrating that even with all of this scientific intervention things are still so crapshoot-y!?! Argh.
I didn't know switching to IUI was an option! V. interesting. I hope either way your dr can offer some guidance / reassurance about the way to move forward. Hugs.
I don't have experience, but I just wanted to reach out and tell you my thoughts are with you!! I hope you guys and your care providers decide what's best for you!! Thinking of you!
This sucks. I'd echo Jane's suggestion of trying a cycle without BCPs. But in my case, I also found Lupron too suppressive. I had my best cycle with estrogen priming (you just take Estrace to prevent ovulation). Maybe talk to your RE about what options work best for you given your hormonal profile? Or not...this cycle could still work!
Oh no, I'm so sorry. How disappointing. I hope the IUI brings some promise to you, and that while you have to pay for more meds, the retrieval/transfer costs can be saved for the next go-round. I hope they can figure out a better protocol for you, this one may have been a dud just this time around but it can't hurt to explore your options with your RE. Thinking of you...
Ughhhhh I'm sorry this is happening. So FRUSTRATING. If you go IUI, I hope it works! Or at the very least that your next cycle produces lots more follicles!
So frustrating. I wish it was going better. And that the price of the cycle wasn't growing, too.
Argh, I'm sorry. Fingers crossed for the IUI!
Lots of good thought coming at you for the IUI!
Post a Comment