Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

12.15.2009

The sh*t has hit the fan

After writing about my search for a transfer out to the Denver area last week, one of the directors found me on Friday and said that a regional director from the Denver office called earlier in the week to ask about my job performance. First off, it would have been nice to know that they were going to do that so that I could at least give supervisors a heads up before the call came in (I have told NO ONE at work about my desire to get transferred). The call came in at the worst time possible- when my boss walked into the director’s office!

I really, really like my boss which is somewhat of an anomaly in my industry. However, when another director recently left for another position in the company, my boss’s reaction was let’s just say, less than supportive. She basically told the director that she wouldn’t like living in the new city, that it wouldn’t be a good place to raise her kids, and that she probably wouldn’t do well in her new position. So you can imagine why I haven’t been forthright in my plans with my boss…..

Needless to say, yesterday I knew that I would have to talk to my boss and I hoped that it would go well. Unfortunately, now I am a bit worried. You see my boss? Not happy with me right now. She came back from vacation with no less than three phone calls from Denver managers AND all of the emails that I sent to the Denver office (thankfully they are all straightforward and to the point- nothing bad about my office). She said that she was disappointed and upset that I didn't talk to her about it first. And then said that she could "make or break" the transfer herself because my office has to "release" me. CRAP.

My future is very uncertain.....

3 comments:

Christina said...

Oh no! the best thing that you can do now is be honest with your manager. Good luck and keep me posted.

Amy Jo said...

Oh my...I agree with Christina. Just be honest about your future plans and a little butt kissing is always good too. Good luck!

Jess said...

Oh, this sucks. I hope it all works out!