Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

12.09.2009

NSC seeking transfer

Earlier this week, I alluded to a possible move out west. Despite my day of freaking out when we got back from our honeymoon, CP and I sat down and had a good talk about our future. We really had two options: Boston or Denver.

Boston pros included living near CP’s family, CP keeping his current job and moving closer to friends. The cons included a long commute for me into the city because we would want a house and to be able to afford said house anywhere near Boston would not be possible. Plus any town we would want to live in would be on the north shore and probably at least an hour train ride. If we have kids being so far away at work is difficult. What if they get sick during the day? My parents worked 45 minutes away from us while we were growing up. Luckily they could count on neighbors and friends if something happened to us, but I would rather be closer. Plus, I am sick of wasting two hours of my day on my commute. What a waste of time, gas, wear and tear on my car, etc.

Denver pros included living near the mountains, getting to enjoy the outdoors a lot more, moving closer to friends, a lower cost of living, and the ability to live closer to the city without having to sacrifice land or a long commute. Not to mention CP’s sister and family live only an hour away so we would get to see our niece and nephew a lot more. It is also the second best place to work in the country for my industry. The only con we could think of was that CP’s job might not be happy about him moving to CO. Right now he is working from home and occasionally traveling. He could do the same job from CO right now, but the job always changes. Losing CP’s salary would be a big deal, but he seems to think that with his contacts and experience he wouldn’t have an awful time trying to find another job.

So, as of last week I have been actively seeking a transfer of my job out to Denver. I’m not sure how long the process will take or even if it will happen. If I am not able to obtain a transfer then I will wait until my fellowship is over in August and apply for jobs at that point. Either way, I am happy that we made the decision to make this move at some point (hopefully) in the next year. Send good transfer thoughts my way! :-)

3 comments:

Jess said...

Yay! Denver! I'm so excited about this. And I agree--a big reason why we picked Denver is because it made much more sense for us to live IN a mid-size city than to live an hour or more outside of a bigger city. And we are so happy with this choice.

Christina said...

Fingers crossed!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I think it's really important and exciting when couples figure out what's next. Sometimes the waiting is excruciating, but now that you sort of know where you want to be, you get to make it happen. I'm excited for your futures!