Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.21.2008

The issue of divorced parents

I am lucky in that my parents have been married for over 30 years. BF's parents? Divorced when he was in college. It wasn't what you would call the most corgial divorce. Ever since then, BF has had to split time between the parents on holidays.

Recently, BF's dad emailed him and asked if we wanted to host Thanksgiving. I had already made the decision not to fly home for Thanksgiving as BF and I will see my parents earlier in November for a friend's wedding. We agreed to host, but I told BF that he should clear it with his mom first. This Thanksgiving is not just a worry about splitting time...BF's mom is getting married the Saturday after Thanksgiving. What if she wanted a rehearsal-dinner-type event on Thursday with family before the wedding? Not only that, but she will have enough to think about with the wedding on Saturday....making a holiday dinner would just add to the stress.

In the end, BF's dad has to fly out to CA anyway so we will be hosting BF's sister, husband, two kids, BF's mom, fiance, and grandmother. I'm not sure where everyone is going to sit, but I'm sure we will figure out it. Thank goodness BF is going to cook most of the dishes. This will be our first time hosting Thanksgiving dinner- the pressure!!!! I have already put my foot down and said that we MUST make my mom's stuffing. Man that sh*t is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one thing I hate the most about marriage is having to split time between families. And having to pick sides with my husband's parents.

Jess said...

Wow, hosting Thanksgiving is such a grown up thing to do! I look forward to doing that ourselves someday.

SaneAndSingle said...

Who's cooking the turkey? Hosting Thanksgiving is a big responsibility! Good luck chica!